Roofing book

Zig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am looking for a book or two that will aid me in my DIY destroy and rebuild my house. One of the major jobs I am looking at doing (if I decide I have the time) is replacing the roof from the wall plate up to the ridge. I have had roofing experience before but that was working as a labourer working with others who set everything up. I'm looking for a book that will tell me how to set everything out. Tapper courses and the such. Any suggestions (apart from hire someone in to do the job which I am seriously contemplating)

Cheers in advance for any suggestions

Zig :)

Sponsored Links
even armed with adequate knowledge, getting up to speed takes a long time.
there are three stages to building a roof:

the timber carcass.

the felt underlay and tiling.

the fascia, soffits, leadwork and guttering.

all these jobs require a shed load of skill and stack of expensive tools.

do you really want to be bothered with all this whilst your house is being soaked!

Sponsored Links
I have alot of tools including roofing. Scaffolding isnt too much of a problem and I can get hold of forks for lifting packs of slate and other materials up. Crane is an obvious hire job, there is one local who is able to do short notice hire.

I was contemplating getting a joiner to do the wall plate and trusses (though I have done this before .. again as a labourer so I know the work involved)
I also need to get in a builder to raise one half of the house wall by 2 foot to bring it level with the other half.
I was thinking about doing the sarkin & felt(If there is much of a saving to be made on labour costs),install velux and slate work. The soffits, fascia and leadwork I would need to do some research in to though I have done a little leadwork in the past with a builder (as a hands on labourer). Guttering I can do no probs.

The reason I want some literature is I have done alot of this work in the past and I do have alot of the tools I would probably need but I just dont know all the ins and outs of the job. Setting up the first course of slate and valleys for example.
As for the house being soaked, I dont think thats a problem. The house is in Scotland and we all now how arid Scotland is ;) Really we are gutting the entire house and reworking the interior. The house was two semi detacted houses now as one but only one half is really habitable.

Zig :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back