roofing timber grade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone tell me what timber grade should be used when using it to build a pitched tiled roof
thanks col

Sponsored Links
Have to disagree with the broad brush reply given by noseall. (sorry)

I work in a structural engineering practice and have to design roofs all the time. You can not just make broad brush statements about timber grades without knowing the following points and then carrying out some design.

Span of roof timber
type of roof construction
roof pitch
type of roof tiles and insulation
use of loft space ? storage / room
location of property (ie wind speeds)
The list goes on.

If this is a repair to a roof, then are the roof tiles being replaced with new or are they existing, and are they original to the house.
A lot of old houses have had light slates removed and replaced with heavy concrete tiles with no thought to strengthening of the support structure under.

Although i do agree that the grades given will probably be ok, when a design is carried out you might find that the joists need to be C24 because of size limitations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back