Rot or Mold on back of Skirtings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
FBD21A9E-0C33-4EB9-BA0E-93B416496EFD.jpeg
9EFB6FB9-A4B5-4C63-AC35-842F255ED0A8.jpeg
CD1B317F-524F-4C8E-90C3-B81856C6B33D.jpeg
im having some plastering done and some old skirtings replaces that have rotted on the base.

But, taking some newer skirtings off tonight fixed to an external wall - I’ve found some evidence of rot on one of them and they all have greenish growth on them and what I hope is just a few cobwebs at the top.

Is this dry rot or just mold/mildew?

Sponsored Links
If you can see strands of what looks like vegetation its Dry Rot but 50/50 could be wet rot?
Either way, you have to be concerned.

If thats an outside wall then is it a solid or cavity wall - is the floor solid or suspended?
Can you post pics of the other side of the wall, the floor and the wall above the skirting?

Sponsored Links
Outside wall with I think a cavity.

Floor is concrete and dry.

I pulled another bit off today and there was some rot in two places - brown marks on wall in corner and where skirting had been screwed in.

Did not live a couple of brown dots further up wall but there is usually a shelf there which was full of DVDs that hadn’t been moved so looked liked small bit of mold?
29FA607D-7B91-4435-9285-3D6A5087A7D5.jpeg
540EB3C0-4493-4123-BB05-20F854B9179F.jpeg
906EFFBA-1262-4D93-AE1E-15F8BC0E50BC.jpeg

Attachments

• 795CF2D7-EDFF-490D-94C3-E720548F0E01.jpeg
    795CF2D7-EDFF-490D-94C3-E720548F0E01.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 46
Also took the skirting to the right of this one off and that was perfectly fine (against an internal wall).

The brown stuff - if its dust like then its shedding spores from dry rot but i cant see it clearly.
I can now see signs of cuboidal cracking.
Can you stand back and pic a larger view?
And a pic showing the outside of the wall.
The wall plaster should have been stopped before making contact with the solid floor.

4A8249A4-00EF-4AF9-AB39-D24B617B8B36.jpeg
7A3C6819-CDB3-4543-A097-90D9B0F26C10.jpeg
920A2D51-9D0D-4D99-A7A7-417A0CC560D7.jpeg
Thanks for your time on this

Close up photo of back of skirting - Rot itself appears to be only corner of wall and where screwed in to wall. Brown marks there on wall which

Your last photo shows damp signs on two walls, the floor and on the chimney breast.

Your outside pic shows a historic line of DPC injection holes - which says the damp issues have been there for quite a while.
The ground level is too high - its been raised by the patio bricks.
If the cavity has been blocked by debris then the debris could be bridging damp from the outside skin to the inside skin
Is the chimney breast on the outside wall or a party wall?

The same pic shows historic CWI holes.
The air brick can be seen to be blocked with CWI - which could be irrelevant because the air brick is positioned too high up the wall to be venting any previous suspended floor.
However, if the air brick was for supplying relief air for any appliance eg a gas fire then it might be a bit significant?

Whats the purpose of the new plastering you originally mentioned?

Plastering was just the ceilings with an aim to redecorate, but we noticed skirtings were damaged.

Fireplace backs onto the outside as per picture.

Air brick was like that when we moved in and didn’t feed through to the inside. When we moved in 9 years ago we did have that wall replastered and ‘damp proofed’ as well as some other walls in house as there was an issue on wall on the other side of the house and they said we needed it all done.

Older and wiser we would have not used them - but the air brick wasn’t covered up by them. I don’t think there was ever a suspended floor there (at least not for a long while) and fireplace didn’t have a fire in it.

What’s the best fix? The wood on the fireplace appears to be sound from what I can see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back