rotten walls !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am just starting a renovation project on a old timber framed cottage I have just bought. The survey said that damp was a problem and expected this from the start. However, I have just come back from ripping off the skirting boards of the downstairs rooms and found a horrid sight ! Behind the boards seems to be a thick beam of wood that has bricks above. The beam is completely rotten. I know that this will need replacing but how much of a job will this be. I cant believe that the house is still standing as it seems to be doing so on a pile of rotten timbers !!

Sponsored Links
i'm only a diyer, so this is my opinion, and not meant as advice.... but if it were me, i'd get some professional advice sharpish!

also i would get some support in place of the timber... concrete blocks, or dig down and put in a concrete pad?

if the timber is shot all over, then you need help... however, if it's isolated to a small patch you don't have to worry too much, as far as i know, the bricks will fall out in a triangle... but you don't want to get that far..

get a builder in....

Thanks for that. I must admit I still cannot work out if what I am seeing is correct. i.e. that a supporting wall is built on a wooden base. Looks as if the wood rests onto a concrete slab or bricks but either way the wood is at ground level. Thanks for your advise though

you'd expect concrete footings wouldn't you? if so, get some concrete blocks or bricks in there to support it, and then let the experts at it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back