Rotten timber beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm renovating a 100+ yrs old flat and I'm currently about to replaster the master bedroom. As the plaster was taken off the external wall, I revelead a 2x3 timber beam running along the wall. Part of the timber is eaten up to its full depth on its right side for about 50cm of length, the rest of it (about 4m) is still in good condition. Behind the beam there is brickwork which takes most of the wall's depth (total of 8 inches).

I would hate having to replace the timber as to do so I would need to take out the ceiling plasterboards which look OK, hence my question is can I just remove the rotten timber and fill the gap with cement, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Pics attached.

Thanks in advance

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Can't be a wall plate on an internal wall can it......?

Unless the building has been extended....?

Curious.

Sponsored Links
Can't be a wall plate on an internal wall can it......?

Unless the building has been extended....?

The wall is an external one and I don't think there has been any extension on that side (but can't swear on it). Joists should rest on this wall as they're perpendicular to it. Isn't the wall plate only used for internal walls?

Wall plates were quite common on Victorian houses, sometimes only 1 inch thick. On 9 inch walls they often rotted.

I would find out the cause of the rot first. If only a section is rotten you could replace it with brickwork or treated timber.
Also identify the type of rot eg wet or dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back