Replacing a rotten timber lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing two small windows in the 1st floor bathroom with one large PVC window 1890mm long. The old timber lintel spans both existing windows and is 2680mm long by 155mm high by 75mm wide and the 4x2 wall plate sits on top. I will be removing the masonry pillar between the two existing windows, but the water tank in the loft is located on ceiling joists which bear on the centre of the timber lintel. The pitched roof above is of clay pantiles, so also quite heavy. I have now just found that one end of the timber lintel is completely rotten and the whole lintel now needs replacing. The wall plate is also rotten in the same area but the roof truss timbers are OK. Phew! What sort of lintel should I use to replace the timber one with? Any other advice will also be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
1. locate the source of the leak/excess moisture.
2.from a tower, the roof above the area in question needs opening up and determinations made as to how to remove a section of wall plate while supporting and tieing in the roof timbers.Fixing the wall plate will prove tricky.
3. are they trusses or rafters?
4. is there a hip or valley in the vicinity?
5. is the lintel exposed on the exterior wall face? ie spanning the wall thickness.
6. if you do eventually remove the wood frames make sure that you remove all jamb fixing blocks, cill fixing blocks, and built-in horns.
7. there's a possibility that rot has spread under the plaster beyond the window reveals, follow it and Lather mayonnaise chemical everywhere.
8. i'm assuming that the lintel is directly below the wall plate.
9. selectthe new lintel after sorting the above.

Once again, post pics of the inside, outside, loft and work in progress if you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back