Lintel advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid brick single storey extension to an old terraced house, which has a very short window in it. I would like to fit a taller window for more light better view etc. There is a 75mm wall plate on top of the masonry with the roof timber fixed directly to it. I intent to take out brickwork up to the wall plate and install a lintel directly under the wall plate.
My questions are.....
Can I use a concrete lintel, I have been advised that concrete lintels should only be used if a minimum of 4 courses of masonry is to be laid over the
lintel ?
Can I use a timber lintel ? (The existing lintels are timber)

I have read up on lintel fitting steel or concrete, I understand about packing them up, using steel shims or slate. This may be a dumb question but, steel shims, where can you get them? Also is the slate used pieces of roofing slate or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi sorry for the slow reply Catlad. I have been flat out on the afore mentioned house, with no internet access.

The window opening is 1760 mm wide.
Tho roof is concrete tiles.

Thank Tony

Sponsored Links
For a 1760 span supporting just a roof, personally I'd just use a 6x4 timber lintel (or two 6x2s screwed together). Light, easy to manouver in, and easy to nail plasterboard to. Roof loads are not very high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back