Crack next to new lintel

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a timber frame extension built on top of our single story brick ground floor.

The lintel over this window was rotten timber and was cut out from the inside and replaced with a concrete lintel. This was done according to the structural engineers drawings.

I've noticed a crack has appeared today in line with the end of the lintel, do I need to worry or is it likely to be settlement?

The wall is solid brick, there is a timber wall plate above and the joists run at 90 degrees from the wall. There's nothing to see from the outside as it's clad in EWI. 7C4C982E-63B7-4D0B-9072-548E1FA101F0.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The crack doesn't say anything about what's happening structurally. It could be a stress crack or it could just be poorly prepared plastering or a combination of the two.
It looks cosmetic and nothing to worry about. If the wall looks ok externally don't worry - just keep an eye on it.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Sponsored Links
An existing ground floor extension would not settle

I thought there might have been some as the mortar under the new lintel dried out plus the weight of the new stuff on top?

I might just caulk it and paint over it and see what happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back