Advice needed on Replacing Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Preamble. Our house is an 1890 end terrace. At some point in the very distant past it had a rear two story extension put on. Through what was the original back upstairs wall runs a passageway into the extension rooms. At this point the ceiling becomes lower on the extension side.

There is a "lintel" bridging the opening at the height of the lower side of the ceiling. On the "lintel" are three courses of brickwork on which rest the ends of three roof timbers. It's a pitched tiled roof. The middle timber is wholly on the lintel, in the centre and the other two are either side, sort of half over the lintel and half on the original wall. These roof timbers are all that the lintel directly supports.

On stripping out the boxing and plaster from around the lintel this weekend it's become apparent that the lintel has had it! It's a piece of 4x4 timber, partly rotten, cracked in the middle and it's bowing down. The brickwork on the lintel is completely loose to the extent that I could pull the bricks out by hand. The roof timbers in question are additionally supported about three feet back along their length by a 12 x 2 timber that spans wall to wall and is sound and solid. I think this is the only reason the lintel in question has not already completely collapsed!

Whew! Long intro, sorry for that.

I need to replace this lintel but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll need to support the roof timbers whilst I'm replacing it but a) it's above a timber floor that's not that strong and b) if I put props under all three timbers I won't have room to manouvre a new lintel into place.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Also would I need a steel or concrete lintel?

Thanks.

Pete

Sponsored Links
PETE bite the bullet and get a pro builder in. it shouldent cost that much if you supply. for the lintal you will need a 6x4 precast it may need cutting to size > sand/cement. I dont want to put you off ' but placing acros at the rite juncture and planks to spread weight evenly is critical. also a 6x4 lintal is very heavy even at that size its a 2 man job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back