rough concrete floor in toilet advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my mother would like me to renew her toilet flooring with lino, she currently has underlay and carpet in there. The room is very small at 0.8m x 1.5m so is quite tight to work in. The floor underneath is quite rough surface concrete, i.e. it would show through any lino so I was thinking of maybe putting down some 6mm plywood first.

Trouble with doing that is it would need some awkward cutting to go round the loo nicely and then it would have to have a join or two for the bits round the back and I don't think too many joins would be great either although they would be mainly towards the back so not walked on and so hopefully would not show through lino. I was thinking of taping them to help but not sure.

Then I wondered if I would be better with a latex leveler finish instead, not sure if I could by such a small amount.

Any advice, should I go for ply or leveler and if leveler can you recommend one that is possibly good and easy to use?

Which ever method we don't want to increase height much if possible.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Best thing to do is use a latex screed mate.
Ardex NA
F.ball green bag
Laybond ultimate
Mapei latexplan trade .
All of them would be ok.
Have you done screeding in the past.

Hi, my mother would like me to renew her toilet flooring with lino, she currently has underlay and carpet in there. The room is very small at 0.8m x 1.5m so is quite tight to work in. The floor underneath is quite rough surface concrete, i.e. it would show through any lino so I was thinking of maybe putting down some 6mm plywood first.

Trouble with doing that is it would need some awkward cutting to go round the loo nicely and then it would have to have a join or two for the bits round the back and I don't think too many joins would be great either although they would be mainly towards the back so not walked on and so hopefully would not show through lino. I was thinking of taping them to help but not sure.

Then I wondered if I would be better with a latex leveler finish instead, not sure if I could by such a small amount.

Any advice, should I go for ply or leveler and if leveler can you recommend one that is possibly good and easy to use?

ply sounds ok to me...i am not good at faffing around with sticky stuff

when i put armstrong flooring...lino stuff in my loo i took out the loo and then put it back
fortunately the flooring was only around 3mm....and compressed a bit...
and was put on floorboards

but this is the way to get a 100% hygenic situation....trimmed the edge of the loo with gunned silicone

when i put armstrong flooring...lino stuff in my loo i took out the loo and then put it back

but this is the way to get a 100% hygenic situation....trimmed the edge of the loo with gunned silicone

........and how are you going to fix it??

You have come here asking for advice, an expert gave advice....

you seem hell bent on ignoring good advice....

........a little tip - as a member you can right-click on a posters name!

...doing so gives you a pretty good idea of who to listen to and who to ignore..........

...........good start - NOT!

Sponsored Links
How old is the property? is there a damp course laid under the floor?

If there is a damp course, then screed the floor and fit the vinyl.

If there is no damp course, you'll need a liquid dpm, screed the floor,fit the vinyl.

If you are planning to fit linoleoum and hav'nt done it before, forget it, get a pro in.

Alternatively,a pro would charge about £120 round here to supply, screed and provide the labour to fit minimum charge Vinyl areas like this.

Linoleum would be considerably more expensive and require templating etc.

Hey not very nice lymmranger you are having a go at me about a reply but yes I posted the question but not that reply, it came from mrcrow.

Anyway guys thanks for the help, any further advice welcome.

I will check a few things and come back with answers to the questions raised soon.

Hey not very nice lymmranger you are having a go at me about a reply but yes I posted the question but not that reply, it came from mrcrow.

Anyway guys thanks for the help, any further advice welcome.

I will check a few things and come back with answers to the questions raised soon.

Oooops my sincere apologies :oops:

.......since getting off the world and retiring I seem to have developed "mental instability". Think I had better give up beer and get a job quick. Oh and possibly find a branch of "Specsavers" :oops: :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back