Routing Satellite cable through wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum so I'm not sure if I am posting this to the correct thread or not.

I am trying to connect a Freesat enabled TV to my Satellite dish and as a bit of back ground information I live in a new build house with closed cell timber frame construction. I could go the easy option and drill a hole straight through the wall behind the TV mounting point as the satellite dish is mounted fairly close on the other side of the wall. However, there is already another cable routed from the dish up the wall to enter into the loft and I would like to follow this existing cable route on the exterior wall to save having two separate cable routes on the external wall. To achieve this I would need to route the cable up the wall from the TV mounting point into the loft space above and then follow the existing cable route.

My problem with this is that the space behind the plasterboard is packed with insulation and fishing the cable up into the loft looks to be some what challenging. My question is, is it possible to instead drill a whole through the OSB board behind the insulation into the cavity space and then pass the satellite cable up the cavity space to the existing cable exit point in the loft? This might be easier as the cavity does not have any obstructions for passing the cable etc though Im not sure if this is allowed or not.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
where does the existing cable end up after it's gone to the loft?

The existing cable runs from the dish up the outside wall, passes through the brick wall, through the cavity space and then through a sheet of OSB into the loft space, it then goes over and drops down into our master bedroom to a TV point in the wall.

Sponsored Links
Its a quad LNB, two of the outputs go to the Sky box, one goes to the master bedroom and I'm planing to use the final one for this TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back