rsf100et Hot water does not stay hot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water starts very hot then rapidly cools and does not warmup again. Central heating works fine. In addition turning the hot water off frequently trips the electric! The boiler is about six years old.

Sponsored Links
Suspect diverter valve is sticking due to water leaking through gland seal, and getting into the microswitch in the end.

Possibly just a diaphragm needed and a new 'o' around the pin that pops out for HW operation.

Remove the microswitch and inspect for water ingress. Turn on hot tap and see if pin pops out. If it doesn't then diaphragm gone.

If it does, gently push a small screwdriver into microswitch and see if boiler is activated, if it isn't will be microswitch.

Sponsored Links
Dear Gas4you, Thank you for your comment. I will tell the heating engineer who is coming next week what you said. I do not know what the switches look like and could well do more harm than good!Mind you I had one engineer come round who stayed an hour and said it could be the heat exchanger, left and charged me £120

With respect, I never understand why anyone would pay an engineer for doing nothing :eek:

I am also disgusted that he would charge you for doing nothing :eek: :eek:

I never charge until I have fixed the fault. The above visit would have been FOC and a quote given to fix in my case, or if it was a boiler I did not know, no charge and a recommendation to get the manufacturers out on a fixed price repair ;)

Dear Dave, I will write to the engineer and tell him to specify what he did for the money. He said he ran diagnostic tests. I have now followed your instructions re. switch. Micro switch fires up boiler, pin moves out when hot tap turned on.

As long as the pin is moving out far enough to operate the microswitch, replace it, turn heating off and turn on hot tap to test, then it could be dhw thermister fault, DV stuck as Chris said, or possibly the plate heat exchanger blocked.

All, unfortunately, of which would need an engineer in front of the boiler to diagnose properly.

I would also suggest that in your letter to him you respectfully request that he re attends to fix the problem and whilst you are prepared to pay for any parts, you feel you have paid enough in labour already :eek:

Lets hope he is a fair chap :rolleyes:

Ok, Thanks Dave and Chris for your quick responses. We have gone as far as we can without someone seeing the boiler. I will leave things until after Christmas now, at least the house is warm! They are designed to fail at this time of year I suppose. Seasons greetings to you both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back