RSJ's are there new lighter, smaller, stronger ones ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep on going in to revamped bars, restaurants and the like (what an exciting life).

In London it seems that when such places are revamped and rooms knocked out or full width back extensions completed that architects have access to new RSJ designs.

Where I would expect to see boxed in supports of 12" x 14" or so I've seen 5" x 7" or 4" x 6",

So does anyone know of a design of steel that reduces the old standard RSJ sizes, have steels been reinvented away from the standard H to allow smaller supporting structures ?

Sponsored Links
There is no new magic solution available these days.
Where I would expect to see boxed in supports of 12" x 14" or so I've seen 5" x 7" or 4" x 6"
What are your expectations based upon? Unless you are privy to seeing the installation drawings there is no way you can know what the downstands you can see contain and indeed what they may be supporting.

It may be that the new beams have been installed with their upper level in line with the top of the floor structure above to minimize the downstand in the room below rather than siting the new beam directly beneath the existing floor structure. This is not difficult but is a more complex and expensive method of providing a new support beam.

A crude rule of thumb is that the depth of a new supporting beam be it steel or timber will be 1/20th of the span.

Nope the old RSJ/UB/UC/RSA/PFC sections are just as they were. There are other sizes available to, but as a complement to, not instead of, the old sizes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back