RTFM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So - Thorn Chalice light installed, gear tray supply connector checked for presence of permanent and switched live ('tis an emergency one), functional test OK, floorboards back down.

Some time later functional test of EM function fails, and only at that point did I notice the little charging LED wasn't glowing.

"Oh well - I've had them a while, and I bought them on eBay as NOS - maybe the batteries are sh****d. Even if they are I'll still be quids in as I paid less than 1/10th of the new price."

I won't lift the boards just yet - I'll see what the other two are like.

So I tested the other 2 lights - same problem.

OK - open up the gear tray, see what batteries I need.

Oh look - the batteries are not connected. :evil:

Look at the installation sheet.

1.To avoid the possibility of electric shocks, ensure that all other connections have been made before the battery is connected.
Note: If a permanent unswitched supply is not immediately available to the luminaire the batteries should be disconnected until such time as this is possible....

Realise that this is supposed to tell me that they ship with the batteries already disconnected.

:evil:

Connect the batteries in one, leave it on charge for 24 hours, test gives me about 3½ hours of battery life.

Floorboards up again next weekend.

:evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Never had an emergency light supplied to me with the batteries connected. Bad luck fella, that'll teach you for being all manly and not reading the instructions!

Sponsored Links
Yup.

But as I did have a permanent supply right from the start I didn't pay much heed to instructions telling me to disconnect the batteries if I didn't have one....

L&L.

group-hug.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back