Rubber seal leaking on toilet pan connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a small leak at the back of the toilet, basically the rubber seal on the pan connector does not do its job.

I am intending to do a quick repair before replacing the pan connector by using some Plumber's Mait (putty) as described from:

I just want to make sure how to apply it effectively (my first try was not good as it was too wet). I have now removed the toilet from the pan connector, clean everything and it is all dry. Shall I just apply putty right on top of the seal all around? Is there a better way of fixing the leak?

PS: if I decide to replace the pan connector with https://www.toolstation.com/straight-pan-connector/p19642 , is this just a matter of cutting off the old one and inserting the new one? i.e. no need for anything else such as glue etc...?

Thanks a lot,
Ant

Sponsored Links
Yes , replace the pan connector

There's no point in taking the toilet off the waste as you have done and applying plumbers mait and reassembling whilst it's off its easier and quicker just to replace the pan connector

All pan connectors are push fit after you have removed the toilet pull the leaking connector off and replace like for like

A pic of your pan connector would be useful

Thanks for the quick reply, very much appreciated.

I will post a photo of the pan connector as soon as I can, it looks like I will have to cut the front bit with a saw...

Why do you need to cut the front bit with a saw? , it should just pull off

Sponsored Links
8331C520-19AC-458D-9B25-6061E8C40827.jpeg
It is a solvent welded pan connector, I cannot remove it. If I cut it at the base, I won’t have enough pipe to fit a push-in pan connector as it would be to close to the wall. Can a solvent welded pipe be cut along the length and then removed?

Cut it flush with the wall and fit a Multikwik extension "A". You can then cut this to the correct length and fit a normal wc connector.

Thanks, that’s interesting, I never heard from those Multikwik extension "A", are those reliable? Can’t find them from Screwfix nor Toolstation, will need to order online...

denso beat me to it.
Yeah, cut soil pipe flush with wall tile and use an extension like a polypipe 200mm straight extension with a straight WC pan connector (or offset WC connector if its needed).
Measure the height of your wc spigot invert from the floor and the measurement from the cut flush, wall soil pipe invert to the floor. Hopefully they are about the same.

There not , when there are better connectors use them , an offset one if you need it is a better choice

just a thought. you mentioned plumbers mait but dont use it or any other sealant on the spigot or the drainage pipes just use the fittings.
the only slight problem for you would be if the wall invert is higher than the spigot invert but first measure them both, a few mm dont make a difference.
are you moving the pan and cistern closer to the wall? with an old cistern you might have an exposed overflow but its easily sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back