Rugby versus American footy

American Footy Versus Rugby Union

• American football

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Rugby League (suppose i should add this shower !)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I

imamartian

Which do you prefer?

For what it's worth, i despise american football... they wear helmets and huge padding, and their plays last 5 - 8 seconds?

Rugby League has come on fitness wise, but there's no tactics, it's a bit back 'n' forth like basketball....

But Rugby Union, is a tough mans' sport, and so very skillful!!
Plays can last minutes!!

C'mon you tigers !!!!!!

Sponsored Links
American football shouldnt be in the poll :LOL:

League for me every time over union. League players have far more overall fitness levels than Union, both codes need fast wingers, but league will have fitter players throught out the squad. Thats why a lot of top union teams, including internationals sometimes train and take tips from Super League teams.

I think the skill factor in League just edges Union, if you want to see big runs, big hits etc its League hands down, line outs and scrums its Union.

There are too many factors to consider and debate to be honest, if you grew up with Union you will prefer it.

My sisters husband is from Leicester and is a massive Union fan....I come from a big League family, and after 20 years of him coming up for visits and watching more and more games, he even agrees now that League is the better game to play and watch

But its all about your own taste and what you have grown up watching

Disagree with you about Rugby League, I think it's an outstanding physical and tactical game.
Plus a good pyss up, pre, during and post match ;)
I remember a few years back they had challenge matches between top league and union side, playing at each others codes and the league boys came out very much on top overall.

Sponsored Links
Definitely a union man myself. But, American football did used to be very different.

The protective gear they wear now has been a gradual evolution from the 1920s when they used to play it wearing no more than a rugby player would. Unfortunately, lots of young men got serious injuries and died whilst playing it, hence the spandex-clad nancy-boys you see running 2 yards and stopping for an ad-break now...

As I understand it, American football started off as rugby union where they decided to let players forward pass.

Disagree with you about Rugby League, I think it's an outstanding physical and tactical game.

Its far more physical than Union

disagree.... more one on ones maybe, but nowhere near as many rucks and mauls, where all the action takes place... League to Union is almost the same as wrestling to boxing !!!!

disagree.... more one on ones maybe, but nowhere near as many rucks and mauls, where all the action takes place... League to Union is almost the same as wrestling to boxing !!!!

Thats opinion though isnt it, there just as many, if not more mauls in League. The game is also end to end, Union is too slow and sometimes ends up a kicking game alone. Some union players can go a full game and touch the ball half a dozen times

But like I say, its all about what you prefer to watch or play. I have watched many local games where the town union team will play the towns league team, diff code each half. Not seen a union team win one yet

Thats opinion though isnt it,

of course it is, you're so right... but for me, the thing that ruins League is the 6 passes thing and then rolling the ball between your legs. Seems more like a morris dancing tradition than a tough mans' sport !

Plays can last minutes!!

You've obviously not been watching the Cricket, test matches.
Play can go on for hours, not minutes, And when you wake up later,,, their still at it.
Bloody boring is what it is.
Nah seriously, think about it,,, Are there any sports which require the participant to actually play the game for anything more than a few minutes until the ball is either out, on the floor, rain stops play, offside etc etc apart from Match Fishing (which isn't really a spectator sport) (well not much of one),,, (no really, it's not) ,,,, (nah,, seriously, who could watch a man staring at a float for three hours intently?) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thats opinion though isnt it,

of course it is, you're so right... but for me, the thing that ruins League is the 6 passes thing and then rolling the ball between your legs. Seems more like a morris dancing tradition than a tough mans' sport !

Thats the good thing about it, its end to end none stop action

Plays can last minutes!!

You've obviously not been watching the Cricket, test matches.
Play can go on for hours, not minutes, And when you wake up later,,, their still at it.
Bloody boring is what it is.
Nah seriously, think about it,,, Are there any sports which require the participant to actually play the game for anything more than a few minutes until the ball is either out, on the floor, rain stops play, offside etc etc apart from Match Fishing (which isn't really a spectator sport) (well not much of one),,, (no really, it's not) ,,,, (nah,, seriously, who could watch a man staring at a float for three hours intently?) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

have to agree.....I dont get cricket at all, how can you watch a game and not know whos won for days :LOL:

Being a Southerner,I was brought up on Union and over the years seen how they tried to get the players to get rid of their beer guts, unsuccessfully. Whereas League trimmed down 10 years before. They also made the games ball play more appealing instead of all that roll around the mud crap you get in Union. League thankfully brought in the 3rd Ref. which makes Football look like a game of fraud. Thankfully, we have it in Cricket because it showed the Australians cheating on a big scale. Their own folk must be ashamed of them.
I think League has shown the way for playing by the rules which other sports should emulate.

American Football and rounders is TV crap.
I reckon an American football player would have the syhte scared out of him in any English Rugby.

I think union players are shandy drinking sissy, in comparison to beer guzzling league players.

Shandy? Never heard of it - is this a beverage available in league clubs? :p

I can honestly say I've never watched a league game played properly... on both occasions this sport made it onto TV they gave up waiting for the other 2 members of their teams to show up and started anyway. :rolleyes:

But, good on those girls for giving it a go. Rugby League definitely doesn't replace beach volleyball as my favourite ladies' sport, but if there is a game where all 15 players show up, I'll give it a chance. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back