Rules when working from home, what changes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We in the main use type tested equipment in the home as in the control of ordinary people, and we have to ensure visitors are safe, postman, milkman, tradesmen and professionals. And most deeds list the businesses which are permitted to be carried out from the premises, normally doctors, dentists, and law firms are permitted, but many trades would need permission from the local authority and likely would involve a change in the rates charged.

I am sure with the lock down no one is really worried about working from home and the rules, however at the end of the lock down likely it will be realised that many jobs lend themselves to being done as a cottage industry.

And until some thing goes wrong, no one worries, but accidents do happen at home, so if for example the PC lead is frayed and you get a shock, is that an industrial accident if working from home? and who should insure against it? who should organise and pay for inspection and testing, what will need to change if home working increases after the lock down?

Sponsored Links
We in the main use type tested equipment in the home as in the control of ordinary people
Not quite sure what this is referring to in the context of the post?
but many trades would need permission from the local authority and likely would involve a change in the rates charged
I'm not sure where that information has come from, anyone can set up an office at home without a council tax change, indeed many 10's of thousands of people have, you dont think people do office work in their vans do you?
so if for example the PC lead is frayed and you get a shock, is that an industrial accident if working from home?
If someone has a home office, then normally they have their own equipment, and it is therefore their own responsibility to ensure their equipment is safe for use.
Could be a questionable moment if using loaned work equipment, however, any equipment loaned for home use during the lockdown will no doubt be accompanied by a document stating what it can be used for, and a checklist of checks to carry out before use, ie check power lead for damage before use etc.
who should organise and pay for inspection and testing
well if its your own equipment then its down to you, if its work equipment, then you would take it to work and get it tested there
what will need to change if home working increases after the lock down?
Nothing, just common sense use of your own/work equipment

I'm not sure where that information has come from, anyone can set up an office at home without a council tax change, indeed many 10's of thousands of people have, you dont think people do office work in their vans do you?
Indeed - one thinks/hopes that it comes down to common sense (not that 'powers that be' always know a lot about that!).

Provided a building remains primarily a residential dwelling, there is presumably no issue in relation to it containing a 'home office'. If most/all of the building were turned into 'a business', I presume that one would have to get Planning Permission for that 'Change of Use' which, if granted, could presumably result in at least a partial liability for Business Rates - but that's not really what we (or eric) are talking about.

I suppose it depends to some extent on the nature of the 'work being done at home', and that things could be a bit different if it were something other than 'office work'.

Probably a greater potential issue is in relation to insurance, since many domestic insurance policies are pretty restrictive in terms of 'business use'.

Kind Regards, John

When living in my mothers house looking after her, we had a house opposite where the owner had a plumbing business, there were regular deliveries with large vans, and he also ran a large van, and used the area in front of his house to park cars off road, but it was not big enough so also ended up with cars always parked on the street, in the past the neighbours had complained to the police about cars parked on the road, it was originally a police house, and the police built garages so the occupants cars would not be on the road, but that garage is now a store for his parts.

Since mothers house sold and now living well away from that house, I really don't care what the guy does, however it has pointed out the problems when people work from home. With one guy in the street working from home no real problem but with half the street working from home, this starts to put a strain on the resources, the bin wagon can't get down the street due to the number of parked cars, which would have all been parked at work before lock down.

Now when I travelled to work, any accident while travelling was covered by works insurance, in respect to time off work, and I remember the problems when a drunken man was sent home, it was decided he couldn't have been drunk after all, as the firm would have been libel had he had an accident on the way home. To have admitted he was drunk, they would have needed to sack the manager who sent him home, as he did not arrange safe transport at a time when there was no public transport.

So when working at home, what happens if you have a drop too much and are injured, or worse injure some one else, work over the permitted hours, or under the contracted hours, basic all the safe guards have gone, we are back to the days when the women worked in the mills spinning and the men worked from home weaving, we have had it all before, but claimed we had moved on from the dark satanic mills?

What safe guards are there in place for the home worker.

Sponsored Links
What safeguards do you want?

What safeguards would you expect to be in place to stop you drinking alcohol? Being stupid? jumping out of a window?

So when working at home, what happens if you have a drop too much and are injured, or worse injure some one else ... What safe guards are there in place for the home worker.
... and what happens if you are at home but not working, and "... have a drop too much and are injured, or worse injure some one else ". I'm really not sure what sort of 'safeguards' you are thinking of would be relevant to a situation in which you'd got drunk and injured yourself or someone else!
... work over the permitted hours, or under the contracted hours, basic all the safe guards have gone ...
Again, I really don't understand what sort of 'safeguards' you are imagining (particularly if you worked 'under the contracted hours - when it would presumably be whoever you were working for, rather than you, who might be interested in 'safeguards' :) ).

One thing to bear in mind is that (even during the current pandemic) the vast majority of people who 'work from home' (for themselves or an employer) are doing 'desk work' (in some cases from their bed!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back