Running cable for additional ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a badly lit 'L' shape hallway with one ceiling rose. I am hoping to add two additional ceiling lights (effectively at the top and bottom of the 'L').

As far as I can tell one of the new light positions would not need to cross any joists. If I make a hole in the ceiling for this new light, is it ok just to run the cable loose across the ceiling void? Distance between the lights would be about 2 metres.

For the other new light I guess the only way is to lift the floor board so I can channel through any joists as I think cutting into the ceiling would be too disruptive.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You might struggle to push the cable on it's down a ceiling void (which is fine - not ideal but it's oft done) you'd need something like cable rods, or a piece of small trunking lid to push the cable down to your desired position.

You might also struggle to get it out from a hole that's covered by the new light fitting - you'll either need to lift one board above the new position or drill a bigger hole and then replace the cut-out and fill/sand/paint

Great thanks.

So in summary, it is ok to lay cable loose across the concealed side of the ceiling without attaching to anything, eg joists?

Sponsored Links
Not only cables, this is a new heating system. OK this part is on the concrete floor under kitchen units but upstairs it's just as OP describes.
1469266682353.jpg

Thanks to all.

I'm sure this is now stating the obvious, but I guess it's correct to say when running cables:

1) up and down walls, you should run them vertically or in an 'L' shape
2) across ceiling voids, you can lay them loose, in any direction and they don't need to be attached to anything.

Really appreciate the clarification, thanks.

1) up and down walls, you should run them vertically or in an 'L' shape
There's a bit more to it than that. https://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

2) across ceiling voids, you can lay them loose, in any direction and they don't need to be attached to anything.
You can, and they don't.

If you have access during installation you can clip them to joists where they run in the same direction, and if you want to support them where they run at right angles you can use mini-joist hangers and short lengths of cable tray.

upload_2017-12-2_14-53-0.png
upload_2017-12-2_14-51-12.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back