Downlighter Ceiling Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OH would prefer 4 (or maybe 6) flush downlighters in the kitchen ceiling rather than the current 4 GU10 lamp light fitting fed via the ceiling rose.

Is there a method of cabling up the new downlighters that does not require either the ceiling being chased/hacked about or the flooring (Weyroc chipboard!!) above being lifted? The joists run front to back and the new cabling would probably need to cross at least 3 of them for 2 (or 4 if install 6) of the downlighters.

Any advice and tips greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You'll have to do one or the other.

Firstly, the existing light will be mounted on a joist or a noggin.

The you will want to run the lighting cables in the void and they will, inevitably, go across a line of joists.

You will, at least, have to take up one row of floorboards

Oh yes, this is notifiable work so: before you start, you'll need to inform the local authority and pay their fee.

I'm assuming the following:

1) You already have the tools you'll need to drill the joists.

2) You know where you may drill joists so as not to cause structural problems.

3) You know that you'll have to notify your LABC before starting this work.

Sponsored Links
I cannot understand that,

People come onto a forum to ask advice and then get abusive if its not the answer they expected :rolleyes:

Sign of the times - it wasn't like that in my day......etc etc....

Did he post something else?

I saw the first one, and I can see how he might have thought xerxes was taking the p***, but your reply and mine were perfectly straightforward and helpful...

I thought the original question was a joke, and replied in what I hoped was a light-hearted way which he evidently didn't appreciate.

Whereas nobody can deny, BAS, that you are unfailingly straightforward and helpful.

I think you've got the wrong topic, Chris - you've not been involved in this one at all.

Been a long week, has it? :LOL:

[EDIT]Damn - too slow! [/EDIT]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back