s plan heating system with two pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help with a diagram for s plan heating systems with two pumps one for hot water and one for heating never seen this before would be most gratefull thanks

Sponsored Links
can anyone help with a diagram for s plan heating systems with two pumps one for hot water and one for heating never seen this before would be most gratefull thanks

Is the H/W circuit pump a smaller one that's joined onto the C/H pump by a crane union?
If it is it sounds as if it's the old SMC guaranteed warmth system.
An excellent system!

not sure the pump for the hotwater is in the airing cupboard with the valve and cylinder stat and the pump for the heating is next to the boiler with the valve and programmer thanks for replying

Sponsored Links

Is the H/W circuit pump a smaller one that's joined onto the C/H pump by a crane union?
If it is it sounds as if it's the old SMC guaranteed warmth system.
An excellent system!
no the pumps are the same size and are plumbed into the pipework for heating and hotwater wired hundreds of s plans but never with two pumps not sure how to run them seperately when they are both connected to the boiler switchlive thanks for your reply

Why do you need two motorised valves for two pumps? What you need is a relay not two motorised valves.

Why do you need two motorised valves for two pumps? What you need is a relay not two motorised valves.
thought that was odd myself im just a sparks all the plumbing and electrics in the airing cupboard are existing a new boiler has been fitted in a new position and the existing wiring downstairs has been stripped out i found the old wiring center and connected to that was a contactor have to ask the plumber thanks for your reply

Sounds iffy having 2 valves and 2 pumps, but from the link:
http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/images/SMC Twin Pump.bmp
connect both greys to perm live, as normal.
connect HW orange to 8.
move black from 8 to spare (11)
con HW brown to 11
CH orange to 6.
move violet from 6 to spare (12)
con CH brown to 12.
obviously the blues to neutral and earth to earth.

connect HW orange to 8.
con HW brown to 11
CH orange to 6.
con CH brown to 12.
sorry didnt get your message till now thanks for your help this is bad for a sparks to say but i really think the plumber has ****ed this up the boiler needs an overrun and the pump is connected to the boiler terminals how am i supposed to connect two pumps to that set up ive looked at honeywells web site and talked to you guys and such a heating system doesnt exist none of the diagrams match whats electrically here all it needs is a y or s plan system its a normall domestic house why would a plumber put two pumps in a normal house?lol

connect HW orange to 8.
con HW brown to 11
CH orange to 6.
con CH brown to 12.
sorry didnt get your message till now thanks for your help this is bad for a sparks to say but i really think the plumber has **** this up the boiler needs an overrun and the pump is connected to the boiler terminals how am i supposed to connect two pumps to that set up ive looked at honeywells web site and talked to you guys and such a heating system doesnt exist none of the diagrams match whats electrically here all it needs is a y or s plan system its a normall domestic house why would a plumber put two pumps in a normal house?lol

Sparkyphill,

The new boiler that has been fitted, what make model is it? Pump overrun is normally only required for low water content heat exchangers some of the heat only boilers dont need pump over run due to the materials used in the manufacture of their heat exchangers.

The two pump system was quite normal in new builds in the early nineties. Consisted of heat only boiler, open vented thermal store with a mains pressure coil for domestic hot water. THERE were never any motorized valves fitted as they are not needed when using two pumps.

Firstly, pump overrun on modern domestic boilers is ALWAYS controled via the pcb and the pump would be wired to the relevant terminals on the boiler, the boiler will also require permanent live.

Secondly It does sound like the plumber and I use the word very lightly has made a pigs ear of it. I would suggest you ask him where he qualified and I bet..

1. 6Wk to 12 month plumbing course.

or

2. 12 month gas course and decides to try his hand at plumbing and heating.

Either way he is in our game a course cowboy and this is indicative of the standard of work/experience you get from these idiots along with 5 day part p1sh or domestic installer trained electricians.

AND why are you asking for advice on a diy forum, 95% on here ARE course cowboys mooching around for advice to supplement there lack of experience due to not completing an APPRENTICESHIP, the rest well..........just daft diyers who are too tight fisted to pay for a professional to do the work.

Tell me the boiler and I'll tell you how it should be plumbed and wired correctly, I'm in an extremely good mood today as my business has just gained an extremely profitable 3 year contract for heating, bathroom and electrical rewires. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Which pump outlet has the by-pass connected?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back