Safe Boiler Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A couple of days ago I discovered my boiler pilot light was out and the water pressure gauge read zero, I managed to repressurize the system, and after several attempts, got the gas to stay on when the heating was switched on (ie. the pilot light stayed on when no water was being drawn through the boiler, but died when the heating or a hot tap was switched on).

The pressure at this point was reading about 3.5 bar (the operational minimum is 0.7, max on the gauge is 4!), and the central heating/hot water worked fine all night.

After leaving overnight the pressure had dropped to about 2 bar, and the original problem occurred. I increased the pressure to 3.5 bar, and it worked again.

I assume the drop in pressure would indicate a leak somewhere in the system, and am wondering if running at at 3.5 bar (repressurizing when necessary) is safe until someone can come and check it out in about a week and a half.

The boiler is a Glowworm Swiftflow 80.

Forgive my rambling, but I just want to make sure it's safe to use until it can be repaired.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should not be running your boiler at 3.5 bar :eek:

Release some water out of the system at one of your drain points until the pressure is at one bar.
See if your boiler works. If not get an engineer in. :)

Thanks, I've dropped the pressure to 1.3, and (so far) it appears to be working.

I've got an engineer booked, but he can't come out until next week, and and really don't fancy being without heating at the moment, so hopefully it'll continue to work!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back