Safety Attitudes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst I'm charging around on a righteous polemic about "safety" and "professionalism" and "legality" etc, what about this proud British worldwide export which red tape has now killed forever:

14000_13901_67133_75877554_thumb.jpg

The British Seagull Forty Plus:
open spinning magneto
uncovered HV plug wire
open carb intake (watch out for backfires!)
no kill cord (in fact no reliable way of stopping it!)
permanently in gear
enough 2-stroke smoke to obscure vision

Probably the most reliable outboard ever made, but we will never be able to purchase such true safety again, thanks to "safety" rules and regulations.

Sponsored Links
Obviously they don't make them any more, but they can't outlaw using one or selling one to someone else, surely?

There is the old joke about the health and safety officer killed when the health and safety manual fell of the shelf and crushed him to death.

But on a serious note when there were obvious dangers and hazards people looked out for danger to protect themselves.

Then when rules were put in place to remove all dangers people lost the ability to look out for danger. Why should they, legislation had removed all dangers.

But the rules do not remove all dangers and not all rules are obeyed so while they may be less hazards many people no longer look out for those few hazards.

I got one of them.....proper engineering it started 2nd pull on petrol that had been in the tank for at least 10years!!

you can use it on a small boat if you wish, but some inland water ways have banned premix 2 strokes, on the sea do what you like :D

Sponsored Links
In my view this is nothing to do with safety, just fear of liability using H&S as an excuse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back