Sagging UPVC frame options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a upvc window with two fan lights at the top

The top part is sagging down as the top of the frame has nothing to fix to as it has a steel reinforced concrete lintel above it that is holding an end wall gable

I removed the foam fix from above then packed the frame off the window, the frame is fairly compliant

Now the window has a crack 3 days later from when i packed it out! also with no foam fix replaced so no compression from above

Is there a way of fixing it up to something or do i need to pack it off the window in a certain way?
Would the window need more support at then bottom and i cannot remember if i packed it directly below the point i packed it out at the top? doh

Any advise would be great
Cheers

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi that's what I did, ^ central to the window and equal spaced either side so 3x packing from top of the unit
Without taking the beading off I cannot remember how many were at the bottom possibly the problem?

When I packed it it was perfectly straight no gaps on the spirit level it seems as though it has dropped 2-3mm when checking after the crack, is that possible?
Are there other ways to sort it?
As a reference the window is 1610mm wide
Please excuse the washing and mess

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_2016-09-20-14-54-02.jpg

Remove glazing bead and place glass packers here, using the glass unit to pack the transom up so it's level, you will need a gap above the window for this to go up which you have, then foam up

Is that a second hand window?

Sarcasm alert!

No mate new window! Still a building site Still knocking old plaster and render off the walls in that room
That arrow is where I packed it plus one either side equally spaced so three at the top ( five if you include the two corners)

No need for the packers either side as this can bow the transom up and the sashes COULD start catching, by positioning the packers in the centre you are pushing all the upward load up through the mullion, hope that makes sense.

Have you cured the bow though?

Maybe an optical illusion but it looks like the bottom is dipping down to the right, and don't you just hate it when the manufacturers are too lazy or inconsiderate to have the window handles pointing to the outer frame!

and don't you just hate it when the manufacturers are too lazy or inconsiderate to have the window handles pointing to the outer frame!

Lazy manufacturing or poor attention to detail but it's an easy fix by removing the locking mech and flipping it round or reorientating the handle in relation to the mechanism, you will of course still need a left hand cranked handle though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back