Salamander Positive/negative head auto toggle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im just doing a bit of home improvement in my bathroom and need to install a pump due to the pitifully low hot water flow, but need a little advice. Im looking to buy a Salamander ESP CPV type pump as I need a joint negative/positive head pump to serve the shower head which is at the same height as the cold water tank in the loft, as well as the bath which has enough of a gravity fed flow to kick start a positive head pump.

However, my question is, will the pump automatically toggle itself between negative and positive head as appropriate? i.e. if I run the bath using the positive head and then afterwards decide to use the shower head for any reason, will the pump be able switch without me doing anything to it?

Apologies if this is a really basic question, but I dont want to go spending £200-£300 on a pump that wont do what I need it to.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Do you really need to use the pump to run your bath taps?

I do unfortunately. :(

I used to have standard taps fitted on the bath but Ive now gone for a fancy thermostatic mixer which is fitted half way up the wall so where as the hot water pressure used to be just about adequate its now really low and definately needs boosting.

Thanks for replying though.

I dont think these pumps switch from negative to positive head or vice versa during operation, they determine what the requirements are during the commissioning stage.
Have you got any space in the loft to raise the cold water tank or could you put the pump in the airing cupboard or under the bath.
Also have you considered whether you're going to have enough stored hot and cold water to keep the pump fed during operation.
I once fitted a salamander 3 bar pump being fed by 2 tanks and with the mains cold being v.poor it didnt take long to almost empty the cold water!

Sponsored Links
Head operation of ESP CVP pumps is selected on initial commissioning as stated. If you have a mix of +/- head, you should commission the pump as negative head, it will then work on both. The problem you may get is intermittent cycling of the pump if your bath taps/shower aren’t 100% watertight; in this case the pumps have cut out protection with LED fault display.

Make sure the pump location is right & the pump feed & supply pipe work system is well designed to avoid aeration/air lock problems & possible pump damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back