Salamander Pump onlw works when I wave a magnet to operate the internal reed switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Livng in a bungalow theres little head of water to the kitchen sink, so purchased a Salamander pump to boost the hot water to tap. Worked perfectly for 6 months but now the only way to get it to kick in is to wave a strong permanent magnet on the end of a wand near the end of the unit.
Now, what I want to do is rip the useless reed switch out, and wire in a permanent push button on the wall. I'm perfectly competent to do the installation. Has anyone on the forum ever carried out a similar solution ?

Sponsored Links
First unfortunately salamander aren't what they were
Second at 6 months it's still under warranty get salamander to sort it.
Not in a hard water area by any chance?

Thanks Exedon. Yes, very hard water. Have taped a magnet to the “sweet spot” on the pump casing and it seems to be working so far.

When pump runs but no flow ( as tap is not open), pump will eventually burn out.
Function of reed switch is to detect water flow and power up the pump- if no flow, pump keeps running and likely to burn out

Sponsored Links
Thanks Exedon. Yes, very hard water. Have taped a magnet to the “sweet spot” on the pump casing and it seems to be working so far.
Almost certainly hard water causing your problems .
I live/work in a area that is described as having aggressively hard water .
Only way we have found to eliminate limescale build up is a proper ion exchange water softener.

When pump runs but no flow ( as tap is not open), pump will eventually burn out.
Function of reed switch is to detect water flow and power up the pump- if no flow, pump keeps running and likely to burn out
Thanks DP, thing is, if it’s a choice between wrecking a pump (with a stupid design flaw) or spending a lifetime waving magnets near it I think I’ll take my chances !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back