Salt deposits on internal walls.

GCE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, hoping for some advice please.
I live in a first floor flat that used to be an outbuilding, stone walls as far as I'm aware, not sure of the type of plaster (I've never been told about the property itself) usually very cold inside. The property has been in my family for a long time, it is very old, but has been a home for at least 30 years, and a pub before that. I remember this happening to the walls when my grandparents lived here when I was a child. My grandfather did a lot of the work itself, a lot of which has needed to be redone professionally (he did too many quick fixes it seems). I have lived here for over three years and this is the first time it has appeared.
I've been away from my property for some time so it has built up. It seems to be salt deposits that have dripped down the wall from some pretty bad cracks. Not sure if I should just clean up and re-plaster, or if it needs a more thorough job.

Thank you in advance,

G

Attachments

• 20190328_145151.jpg
    20190328_145151.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 20190328_145146.jpg
    20190328_145146.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 20190328_145130.jpg
    20190328_145130.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 307
  • 20190328_145200.jpg
    20190328_145200.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
GCE, good evening.

Are the cracks in the posted images "concentrated around the window?

in image 2 the main horizontal crack may??? be following the upper line of an old timber lintel???

Question? what state is the external wall surface in? any cracks / openings / external cracking mimicking the internal crack ?

In the last image posted above, the vertical crack, does this [vertical] crack commence at the end of the horizontal crack?

There is a possibility that if all the cracking is concentrated around the window head, then the timber lintel in this area may be severely compromised and has been attacked by wood rot, the wood is now holding water and leaching the water into this inside of the property?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back