Salutary Reminder about Rodents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a follow-up to my 'Rodent post' last weekend ... the house in question has now had its 'extensive EICR', including a very extensive exposure and inspection of most of the vaguely 'accessible' wiring. Per my quick test last week, the EICR confirmed that IR was fine (extremely high) everywhere, and tests revealed nothing else of note. Inspection confirmed that the vast majority of rodent damage had been to comms and ELV alarm/signal cables. However, visual inspection detected three places where they had 'had a go' at T&E cable. In two of these cases, they hadn't even got through the sheath, but the third was a rather different story - reminding all of us of what I've warned people several times - that, when rodent attack is suspected, very good IR measurents do not preclude the presence of 'an incident waiting to happen';
... just a little more 'disturbance' from the furry animals and something clearly would have happened!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Nice one John. Tell me, do you have a leaning to nibble cables?
I don't think so - I'm much more tempted to nibble far more attractive things than that :) However, I was minded of the occasion a little while ago when I had a bit of a job convincing a poster that he really ought to 'go to all the hassle' of lifting T&G in his roofspace to check the cables. He had found rodent damage in visible cables, but was trying to be reassured that all well well below the boarding because the IR was fine. It's certainly one of those occasions on which the 'I' of 'I&T' is far more important than the 'T'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back