same cable to 2 TV's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wall in the middle of my apartment is the living room on one side and the bedroom on the other. In the middle of the living room side I have an ariel socket etc but am wondering - can I have an ariel socket fitted on the other side of the wall with an electrical socket for a wall mounted portable tv and if I did, how would I pick up from the digital box? Presumably I can't take a cable from the box in the living room to the bedroom and run both tv's from it? Has anyone tried one of the little box things that pick up the signal and send to another TV? Are they any good? All constructive comments welcomed... thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You will likely get better advice in an AV forum, but its certainly possible to run two outputs from a digital box, depending on which type you have.

Assuming the digital box has an rf (aerial socket) output then you can take that output and split it to two tvs, or you could use the SCART/AV output for one tv, and the rf for the other.

For the best picture you should try to use the scart/av output and split them using a suitable splitter box (available cheaply on ebay at least here in the UK) , then run leads to both tvs, though getting scarts through a wall can be a pain because of the large connector size.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a wireless sender, I've never found them that satisfactory, although some might add the advantage of being able to change digital channel from the bedroom.

Hope that is some help,

Gavin

What Dartlec is true but I find the RF signal is plenty good enough for a portable. You can get a box to convert SCART to RF but not really worth it for Freeview a second Freeview box is cheaper. If you split an RF signal you will also need to boost it as well but you can get multi-connector Ariel plates and I feed Ariel to sky box then DVD recorder then to booster one to main TV and one to loft and second booster and to all rooms so what ever is on DVD or Sky can be watched in all rooms. One can get special units to allow one to change sky channel from another room but I have never bothered. Again not worth it for Freeview. In some areas where the signal is good a plain Y splitter will work but I am too far from English transmitter and I don’t understand Welsh.
Eric

What the previous say is correct, scart is far the best option if possible but I am a bit confused, I presume you are in the Spain or the canary Islands I didn't think they had Digi TV do you mean saterlite ? If so a problem you may encounter using the RF out of a UK Sat receiver in to the back of a continental TV is the continental sound system is different, ours is 6.5Mhz and most of the continent 5.5Mhz this would result in loss of sound and something called intercarrier buzz,
But if its just a straight off air signal you want to split just use a GOOD quality splitter, you wont need a aerial amp with a short run of coax, this might even induce problems of crossmodulation.
The golden rule is don't just connect the new feed in parallel with the existing one it will affect the impeadance and reduce the signal.

Sponsored Links
Wow guys thanks, but you all pretty much lost me after the first few words! Yes, I am in the Canaries, we have a digital box from a company called VIA which mainly picks up American programs but is a spanish transmission I think (both language options but any ads in spanish). I have no loft and dont no where my ariel is (I get great reception and have a cable from the tv to the wall so there must b 1 somewhere!).
In simple terms, is there a coupling box connection thingy I can use with cables so I have 1 box with 2 tv's connected? This was my question for the transmission box from room to room as didn't think the cable idea would work? Is it way too complex? I have noisy neighbours and it's quieter for me to sit n enjoy the tv in the bedroom but don't want to set the whole thing up in there...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back