Same size, different BTU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In picking a new radiator for a room, I've noticed that BTU figures seem to differ considerably between sites and manufacturers.

As an example, a Double panel 1000w x 500h panel from B&Q (Kudos brand) states 1.476Kw whereas from Homebase (Quinn brand) stated 1.662Kw - a difference of 12.5%.

Are some radiator brands more efficient than others or is this down to some other factor such as calculation points? If there is a difference between brands then is there a recommended brand for the best efficiency?

Sadie.

Sponsored Links
I read similar to this last week, it was explained, but cant find it now.

it is fairly theoretical, i always oversize so the room heats up nice and quick.
the arrival of trv's made exact heat calculation redundant

Sponsored Links
As an example, a Double panel 1000w x 500h panel from B&Q (Kudos brand) states 1.476Kw whereas from Homebase (Quinn brand) stated 1.662Kw - a difference of 12.5%.
Although there is a British Standard, BS EN442, for measuring radiator output, some unscrupulous retailers use the out-of-date method when quoting radiator outputs, which give figures higher than the BS method.

However, the figures you quote for the Kudox and Quinn radiators are measured using the approved BS method, so there is no "cheating" going on. The Quinn radiator does give a higher output.

The B&Q price of the Kudos is £68.98 and Homebase ask £133.09 for the Quinn. I don't know why there should be such a difference in price, but Discounted Heating sell the Quinn for £77.61, so presumably Homebase don't sell all that many and their discount from the suppliers is less - or they are just greedy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back