Samsung Galaxy S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the other day that my son had a new i phone. I asked him what happened to the 1 year old Galaxy S he had. He sheepishly said its dead, I spilt a glass of water on it. Hmmm, thinks I, probably beer. Anyway I got the phone and tried it. Yes its dead. So in my retired boredom, the other night, with a loupe magnifier strapped to my head I dismantled it. Seemed to be white powdery substance all over inside (thinks? I hope he hasn't dropped this in the pee trough in the pub). undeterred I proceeded to clean all the circuit boards with a soft toothbrush and a cotton bud with WD40 on it. reassembled and tried, still dead. with the back removed I tested the on/off button with my DVM, that seemed ok but there was no positive feed to the switch. I then, with a piece of wire linked the positive contact for the battery to the other side of the on/off switch and the phone switched on and worked perfectly. I then got a single strand of fine wire and soldered one end to the switch and the other to the copper connector for the battery positive terminal and covered the surrounding area of circuit board with small pieces of sellotape for insulation and the phone now works perfectly. The whole operation was done with tweezers, a small soldering iron and magnifying apparatus strapped to my head.
However his mate now wants to purchase this phone for over £100. My concern is What happened to the original positive feed to the switch and is what I have done ok?

Sponsored Links
That white powdery substance was probably sugar.

It's likely that a short circuit blew one or more components before the switch (which is a soft switch, not a physical power switch.). I wouldn't trust a repair like that to last five minutes, no offence.

No offence taken, electronics is not my bent. What do you envisage could go wrong, (its been working for 3 days now) All I can foresee may happen is, - if the battery is removed and replaced numerous times the flexing of the phone battery positive contact may cause a stress fracture in the wire or the solder I have attached to the back of it.
The guy who wants to buy it knows the history and is still keen. I may suggest to my son to come to some mutually agreed warranty arrangement.

No offence taken, electronics is not my bent. What do you envisage could go wrong, (its been working for 3 days now) All I can foresee may happen is, - if the battery is removed and replaced numerous times the flexing of the phone battery positive contact may cause a stress fracture in the wire or the solder I have attached to the back of it.
The guy who wants to buy it knows the history and is still keen. I may suggest to my son to come to some mutually agreed warranty arrangement.

Oh, little things, like a short circuit causing the battery to explode.

Without seeing exactly what you've done and having a wiring diagram, I have no idea what could actually go wrong, but clearly whatever was in that circuit was needed. You've removed it.

Sponsored Links
May be better off in the long run [for peace of mind] to sell it on a site like mazuma or envirofone.

Envirofone are offering £130 for your Galaxy S - at least that way it's off your hands and no 'warranty' squabbles with your sons mate at any stage.

I cracked my Galaxy S screen beyond repair and got £71 for it from Mazuma - badly cracked and not starting up :!:

Worth considering the hassle free route :)

Homer

Back