Samsung LE40M87BD 40" LCD TV Clicks but won't turn on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daughter's TV clicks (5sec interval with each click followed in 2 secs by a slghtly different click.

Will have to go back and look but sounds (no pun intended) very like the capacitor issue.

Anyone able to confirm the bits I need 100Mf ??Volts??

Any guidance on how to change them?

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would do is shine a torch on the screen to see if the tv is not switching on or if the back-light has gone. If its the back-light that has gone you should be able to make out the picture.
There has been an issue with some samsung tv's and the backlight failing.

Looked again last night and sure enough . . . . She does not want to pay much to get it repaired so happy if I can do it otherwise it goes in the bin and she gets another.

That means nothing to lose by having a go, will update this post as I progress, successful or not.

TV with rear removed showing PSU Board. note this is not the same PSU board as the one I found a post of on the net, it was in the US so for a different supply voltage.

Note: Don't, as I did, do this with the TV standing up. Some of the screws (marked with an "S" hold the stand on and the TV is very loose on the stand when all are removed. Do it with the TV laying flat.

PSU Board removed - 6/7 screws and several connectors.

Failed capacitors - see domed tops on the two central capacitors.

Maplin have what appears to be the same thing for about £1 each. First thing is to remove one and have a closer look.

Check CM809 aswell. Sometimes instead of the top splitting or bulging they can push out the rubber bung at the bottom. CM809 isnt flush to the circuit board. maybe it was just soldered that way or it might have pushed itself off the bung.

These are the only suitable capacitors that maplin sell :-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-temperature-radial-electrolytic-capacitors-11992
Try to keep to the same capacitance or slightly higher. You can go for a higher voltage without problem although the physical size will be bigger. Check the pitch (pin spacing) to make sure it will fit in the circuit board. If it wont then you will have to bend the pins and it wont sit flush which is not ideal but not a big issue.

Sponsored Links
Had a look at CM809 and it looks OK, not soldered close to the board as the pin spacing is less than the hole spacing so one pin is bent to fit.

While the board is out I may as well change it, only a few more pence, and an excuse for buying a solder removal pump and a newer soldering iron - the one I have is 40 years old and don't think it gets quite hot enough for lead free solder.

Will nip out to Maplin at lunchtime.

CM809 is a 220uF 25V 105C - will a 220uF 50V be OK or is that going too far?

No that would be fine. You can increase the voltage rating as much as you like as long as the higher voltage one will still physically fit.

If you want a new soldering iron then get yourself a bargain
http://www.maplin.co.uk/solder-pro-70-gas-soldering-iron-34514

I have the 50w equivilent they do as a kit. They are much easier to use then mains ones as there is no chord to get in the way and power can be varied up to 70w. Its practically half price and only £5 more than a basic mains soldering iron.

Oh and my advice would be not to bother with a solder pump and just get some desoldering braid instead. Solder pumps work find on single layer circuit boards but anything multilayer the solder braid does a lot better job of removing the solder from inside the hole. Even then it doesnt always work and you have to heat each leg alternately and wiggle the capacitor out.

Got the capacitors and iron, not the pump - managed to get the capacitors out by heat and wiggling then cleaned hole up with some stranded cable dipped in flux - homemade solder removal braid. At least it looks to be single sided - we are up to 20-odd layers with the boards at work (telecoms products).

Fitted new capacitors (Only did the two and re-soldered.

Rang to arrange to go back to fit it and she was too busy so waiting for Madam to decide when I can go back and do it.

Will think twice next time she wants something done.

The new capacitors are higher voltage but physically smaller than the originals.

My home Samsung TV developed an identical fault and following this forum topic fixed the problem for the cost of 2 Capacitors (1,000 uF 16v @44p each from my local Maplin store). Many thanks to Users IJWS15 & gblades

Always worth giving Samsung a ring with this problem. My parents had exactly the same problem and without even an argument they agreed to come out and fix it FOC - was around 3 years old so well and truely out of warranty

Always worth giving Samsung a ring with this problem. My parents had exactly the same problem and without even an argument they agreed to come out and fix it FOC - was around 3 years old so well and truely out of warranty

The 'extended' warranty is really a grey area..so 3 years coverage isn't unknown, especially if there are field mods, for a common fault, or screen faults, part of the problem is that the manufacturer says 12 months, but certain items 3 years, but then the consumer was sold an extended warranty..so who repairs it, even if the consumer was unaware, of the 3 years?

Microsoft faced this with their Xbox, 4 RLOD fault, after 12 months, but so many failed that they had to recall or repair all units. FOC after 12 months.

Hey all,

my first post here since i found this post/forum by google because i had the same problem with my Samsung TV (le40m87bdx). The cause of the problem was also 2 capacitors which i changed myself and saved 35 euro for the check from the technician + who knows how much to repair it.

Here are 4 pictures from the damaged capacitors. They were 2200μF/10V but in order to be sure that in the future there won't be any problem and to make sure they will last longer i put 2200μF/16V (slightly larger but they fit ok).

Great topic, good end result.

My addition?

The solderpro 70 is excellent, great bit of kit. Gets to temp really well, if not a bit hot. So use that regulator, had mine a few years now. New tips at almost 18 quid a pop (pack of 4), but hey, its all good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back