Sand and Cement, Render, Screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya is wall render (sand and cement) exactly the same as floor screed?

If applying screed onto recently laid concrete do you need to damp down with water or PVA the floor as you would with a wall?

Should you waterproof screed (if laying real wood floor on top)

Is wall render (internal) applied in one coat then scratched then finish plastered?

How thick should a render coat be?

Sorry for all the q's but I've seacrhed everywhere and there's not much info about sand cement rendering it's all bonding and browning info.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have just used sand cement render over brick on inside wall.

Used 1 part cement to 6 parts sharp sand, not too dry mix. Mixed some 1 part pva 4 parts water into the render and a bit of diluted plasticiser (hear a squirt of fairy liquid could be substituted). Found this mix easy to work with for up to an hour. Treated brick wall with 1 part pva 4 parts water and really soaked wall with this before applying render.

After initial falling off on my head, got the hang of it and got an excellent finish - probably 5-10mm thick approx. Scratched the wall with an ordinary large tooth comb after. (Then washed comb and combed my hair!)

Sprayed wall with plain water regularly for about a week to stop it drying out too quickly.

All very successful.

Tried to plaster this morning - disaster ... at the moment. Plaster went rock hard within a couple of minutes of mixing. Good luck with your job,

thanks for the reply fat I've heard you're supposed to apply finish plaster about a day after final coat of render or if after that then dampen wall first must be why you had problems with finish hope it worked out (also next time try not washing the comb first you could start a new fashion trend imagine that!) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Liam/MisterSandman,
although your advice given to people is i'm sure much appreciated, the inclusion of an advert for "your family firm", in each post you make, is against the spirit of this Forum. I think you can advertise on here but not for free....... Keep giving the advice though..

Roughcaster.

screed is mersey grit an cement mix together an is a dry mix an u need to slurry the the concrete floor as your do the screed slurry is water an cement mixed

Check the date of the post Ken... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back