sand 'n' cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what sand do you use for sand 'n' cement, and what ratio?

I have some bits of plaster missing at the bottom of 2 walls where the "plasterer" decided not to bother :rolleyes: ( he's a dot 'n' dabber more than a plasterer )
his reasoning was that "I thought you were putting units in front of there? I didn't include those bits in my quote.." which might explain why he was £80 cheaper than the other quote I got.. ( yes I know, pay peanuts, get monkeys working for you.. )

Sponsored Links
Soft/plastering sand 4 to 1 ratio, mixed with a little plasticiser in the water. You could bring it out with bonding plaster or hardwall, and then use multi finish. How big an area Col'?

Roughcaster.

about 6 inches high and about 3 foot wide.. and behind a pipe so fairly hard to try and get a piece of board into..
also a bit behind the gas meter which is about a foot by 2 foot..
in fact the bits shown missing in this pic.. ( the bit where the wooden batten is also fell off when the gas fitter finished the pipe to the hob.. )
View media item 13264
I already have a half a bag of cement and a bag of sharp sand from a few floor holes I had to fill ( seen in the pic above ) and was hoping to use that..
I also have a bag of ready mix mortar that I mistakenly bought for the same job.. would that be better?

if I have to I will get a bag of hardwall ( is that what they used to call "browning"? ) and multi-finish and have a go with that..

Better to use soft sand if you can,,, and no,, hardwall is not the same as browning. They are both undercoat plasters, but hardwall is a much harder, stronger plaster. Will you be putting on a skirting?

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
not there no.. it will be behind the ( from left to right ) fridge / freezer, 500 draw unit, corner unit and the washing machine..

is that a no on the mortar then? it's soft sand and cement isn't it?

To be quite honest, if it was me, i would use a drop of hardwall or bonding,, for all you would need,, then top it off with a little multi. Just give the brickwork a dampen down and fill it out. Doing it that way,, you can also finish it the same day, whereas with cement render, you would coat one day and finish the next when the render has hardened.

Roughcaster.

I wasn't planning on finishing it.. just SNC it and paint it.. it's behind the cupboards afterall.. ;)

and thanks for your help Roughcaster..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back