sanding between emulsion coats - do I need to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've had my entire living room skimmed (over plasterboard) and have applied a single coat of Dulux Supermatt watered down by about 25% to all the walls and ceiling.

Once I've filled and sanded a few cracks that have appeared, do I need to sand the walls and ceiling before I apply the second coat of paint? and if so, what grade sandpaper should I use, and do I need to wipe the whole area down afterwards with a wet cloth before I apply the next coat to remove any dust that the sanding down has left on the walls?

And should I apply a second coat of supermatt before I start applying my 2 finish coats of endurance matt?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Why have you got cracks? you should not have any cracks in new plaster work. Where they are & how large? filler paint may not cover them up!

I usually apply 2/3 coats of cheap own brand matt emulsion, thinned 25-30% in quick succession to give better adhesion, then finish coats when it’s fully dry. I would apply a 2nd watered down coat of Supermatt & then your Endurance matt finish coats when that's dry; no need to sand in between or wet the area down. Must say you’re going to far more trouble than I or most others would. ;)

Richard C.. I think DIYers do take more time/trouble as they are not paying a pro.
Many,many years ago I had thoughts of working for myself, but I thought I fussed about to much & would get rich, I still fuss about, I did get rich, then got divorced...So now Im just a happy diyer. :LOL:

So you're saying i dont need to sand between coats - just apply the subsequent coats when the previous has dried?

Sponsored Links
Don’t get me wrong, the comment wasn’t intended as an excuse for sub-standard or shoddy work; I’m know as being a perfectionist, far too bloody fussy & a general PITA. Good preparation is essential but doesn’t need to take an age but it’s a question of diminishing returns & once you get to a certain point, the extra work is disproportionate to any noticeable improvement which 99% of folks won’t see anyway.

I once had a neighbour who spent a whole week laboriously sanding, undercoating, sanding & top coating a single 1.8m x 1.2m kitchen wide window frame & I decorated both my kitchen & lounge in the same time. I couldn’t tell the difference & to be honest thought mine looked better than his! The same bloke would start cleaning his car at 9am on Sunday & give it the last wipe with a leather around 1:30 when he went in for lunch; he also had Christmas decoration plan with dimensions on it! Nice bloke apart from this obsessive disorder behaviour though. :LOL:

So you're saying i dont need to sand between coats - just apply the subsequent coats when the previous has dried?

I wouldn’t, it goes back to what I’ve said above but I do prefer to thin all my emulsion paint slightly as it’s easier to apply & gives a much better finish & I prefer to use a large brush rather than a roller. I rarely buy expensive paint unless it’s a particular colour I’m after &, TBO, I can’t say I’ve noticed any real difference apart from covering ability but, as I’m not trade decorator, that’s no real issue for me anyway.

Thanks Richard - you talk a lot of sense.

I'm actually VERY similar to your next door neightbour you described above though I'm trying to stop being so pedantic about everything, but it's hard!

I am starting to learn that even though I spend 3x longer on DIY stuff, anyone other than me doesn't really notice/appreciate all the extra effort you've gone to in order to get it 'right'.

Thanks again mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back