Sanding Cement Plaster - Flatting off chases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, what is the best way of taking this back a bit, sanding block and lots of med-grit aluminium oxide paper?

Post re-wire we are now decorating the main room, chases have been filled with Limelite 'high impact' (link below) not always perfectly and need to get the decorator to get it right for us. He seems a top guy, but has already stated the plasterer could have got it better.

Obviously where it is under-filled it can be bought out with easifill/polyfiller but where is is slightly proud it needs removing else even if you fair it with filler you will see it. Walls are otherwise bloody good for 115yo lime plaster, but as we are not skimming them, will be lined with 1200 paper. I am just worried you will see the shadow of the chases through the paper.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Limelite-High-Impact-Finish-25kg/p/849656

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I have never used that particular product and suspect that aluminium oxide paper will blunt really quickly.

Personally I would use a multitool with a tile adhesive removing attachment if the filler is really, really hard, ie too hard to sand with 40 grit paper and a random orbital sander.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-sanding-plate-78mm/8039x

BTW you can buy them for much, much less than the link above.

Either way, you will probably need to refill over the chases with a softer filler as there will be some disruption to the plaster either side of the chases.

Whilst not wanting to malign your decorator, I do not understand why he hasn't told you how he will resolve the problem.

In general, if a ridge cannot be sanded back, you feather it out with filler. Ideally a decent decorator will have sanders connected to dust extractors to minimise (read: almost eliminate) any airborne dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back