Sandstone quality... Marshalls, or other...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some quotes for having an Indian Sandstone patio, and was told I could go for an economy range approx. £20sqm or premium quality about £35sqm.

Ive been given brochures, and know that Marshalls seems to be a premium brand (but does also provide an economy range), but I just wonder what the actual difference in the quality is?

I would also assume im paying a premium for that brand, os are their any other high quality sandstones I should be considering?

Given the amount we are spending on our overall project, Id hate to scrimp on quality and regret it a few years down the line, but need to understand what the actual difference is in sandstone quality...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
obviously there is sawn sandstone which is a much dearer product starting at 35p/m ish Riven stone is much cheaper relative and in the range you speak of.

Better quality on riven sandstone will usually refer to a better calibrated product which means its quicker and easier to lay. Also some of the very heavily riven flags may have been rejected so you'll end up with a more uniform surface. also sometimes its tumbled to give rounded corners which adds a few quid

Cheap stuff may be very thin or have a large variation in thickness which increases laying time and required skill.

There is also a variety of types, the cheapest is usually fossil mint, rainbow etc which are very soft and porous meaning they get dirty very easily. Then there is modak, raj green, autumn brown and kandla grey which will often be a fraction dearer but are much better stone as they are harder meaning they stay cleaner and are less riven.

Some of the difference will not be physical but product back up. For example if you buy budget stuff from ebay and it starts to delaminate in 3 years then your screwed whereas a premium product from a big company like marshalls will not have such problems because its been more carefully researched and selected and if it does go wrong will be replaced.

More often than not stone sold as kandla grey by marshalls may be from exactly the same quarry as kandla grey from a generic builders merchant thats 10 quid a metre cheaper but as i said its the peace of mind.

You might try london stone as they are a great company who supply quality products. If you do go with a more budget supplier make sure you see the actual stone you are getting.

As, if not more important is the laying of the sandstone. Choose a quality contractor who is experienced with laying it. You'd be better off buying the budget stone and spending more on the contractor than the other way round.

Sandstone must be laid on a full bed of mortar, never spot bedded or screed bedded.

Get yourself over to paving expert. com for more info

Here endeth the sermon.

Here endeth the sermon.

Amen.. and thank you for such a comprehensive summary! Id seen someone else mention London Stone, so Ill check them out.. although it would be a little difficult getting to see their products, so I would be going to recommendations I had seen, albeit from forums etc!

Im more than happy to spend a little more on good quality stones, but agree about the contractor! From poor experiences I have with getting workmen in to do stuff, I will insist on having everything they are going to do written down, so there are now misunderstandings! I will also research into what should be done when laying a patio, so I can let them know that I know what should be done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back