Sandstone steps stained by render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have have had a set of steps built in my garden with buff coloured sandstone treads. The risers have been rendered as have the walls either side of the steps.

The render used was K-rend in polar white. Unfortunately where the render has spilled onto the sandstone it has left a white stain. It is not clear how deep this stain has penetrated but it is certainly not just excess render on the surface.

I am reluctant to use an acid, such as brick acid, as I understand that this can react with the iron in the sandstone and produce another type of staining. I am also reluctant to use a jet power washer as it is not clear that it would work and I could damage the render.

Other than using sandpaper to remove the stained surface layer, does anyone know of a way of removing the stains from the sandstone?

Sponsored Links
It's very easy to say it, but it's "always" advisable to cover up any surface you don't want stained/marked when using cement etc,, especially window cills, steps, slabs, glass.

Sponsored Links
Media blasting with something like baking soda? Probably half way between power-washing and sandblasting, which will take back the surface (being as hard as the sandstone...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back