Sandstone/Upvc joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be installing upvc sliding sash windows which sit behind the sandstone mullions. Over the years the mullions have their edges broken off by previous pointing etc. I now need to 'square up' the edges to accept the thin bead of low mod silicone sealant round the new window frame. Any suggestions as to a durable sandstone patching routine, which will be overpainted? thanks..C

Sponsored Links
Personally I would fix with a sympathetic coloured epoxy, if edges are badly chipped/worn, and forget the silicone and plump for a contrasting polysulphide, not painted, to allow for movement, paint will inevitably crack, almost within weeks. Either go for a contrasting seal or same colour as you would have painted...pinenot :)

Thanks for that, I forgot to mention that the mullions are painted so it wouldn't matter what colour the repair was. What epoxy would you suggest pinenot?

Which ever of the concrete/stone repair epoxy resins or putty your local national DIY builders merchant stocks, I myself have no preference, but I know Wickes do Cementstone, for instance...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back