Internal window sealant types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several years ago when I had my upvc windows fitted, the installer finished off the installation inside by fixing strips of upvc about 25mm x 8mm to tidy up the interface between the new frames and the old plaster.
These strips were fitted with double sided stick tape, they were then sealed round the
edges with a very thin bead of a sealant from a small tube (not in a gun).

This has worked well and still looks good but the sealant has started to crack and get a bit mouldy in places.

This sealant was very hard and not flexible. I am sure it was not silicon. My neighbour had her upvc Georgian bar joints filled with a very hard similar material last year.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what this sealant was and where I could get some.

Sponsored Links
Most likely decorators caulk; Wicks B&Q etc. Silicone sealant should not be used on the inside, it makes decorating difficult as emulsion paint wont stick to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back