Sandstone wall crumbling/pointing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm on the beg for some advice before getting anyone round to take a look here, we live in an old sandstone wall house with the loft being converted to a room some 20 years ago, before we moved in.

Tonight I noticed on some of the bricks the "face" was loose and just crumbled away, I put this down to the age of the stone and got the hoover out to remove the worst, however on one of the bricks the stone is so soft the hoover literally sucked a dent into it as pictured.

I have read of cement pointing on stone walls leading to damage due to moisture and wonder if that is what may be the cause here, I don't know if this was pointed with a lime mortar or a white cement mortar when the room was converted, is there an easy way to tell?

I'm not worried about the strength of the wall but if there is a potential problem here it is something I would like to put right before it is too late.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Graham

View media item 74242
View media item 74243
View media item 74244

Sponsored Links
Sandstone can delaminate if it's laid the wrong way. It should be laid on it's natural bed, not face bedded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back