Sandtoft Pantiles - Cloaked Verges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am hoping someone can advise with regards to the following. I have just moved into a new home that has Sandtoft Pantiles and cloaked verges. I have registered a complaint with NHBC and the developer that the roof has not been correctly installed. Firstly the cloaked verges are flush with gable on one side of the house but at the other end the cloaked verges overhang the gable by at least 65mm. I have spoken to Sandtoft and they said it has been incorrectly laid out / installed and recommended that the overhang shouldnt be any greater than 50mm (if unavoidable). The developer isnt being particularly helpful and is claiming the roof is fine. The roofline looks terrible and it does look to overhang significantly. Can anyone advise if this is correct? Photos attached.

Thanks. View media item 21113 View media item 21114

Sponsored Links
Just to add to your woes, the pic on the right shows the first row of tiles do not discharge into the gutter.

The builder is fobbing you off which is so typical of new build. Once you have completed they aren't interested. Are they still selling on site? Can you go to the sales office and stay put until they do something. I remember reading a story about a chap who couldn't get Comet to replace a faulty laptop. He stood outside a store with a sandwich board saying don't buy here etc. Within an hour he had a new laptop and £££ compensation.

Looks like the roofing SC hasn't perped the roof out properly to get that problem to occur. It could be a problem should you get a strong gust of wind under it too.

Unfortunately developers bash the subbies so much nowadays as far as costs are concerned that the most skilled / experienced labour isn't used and it's all rush, rush, rush all the time so things like that get missed.

We don't even bother pricing large developers anymore as the profit is too small and the risk too large

Very basic cock up showing lack of experience or care. Looking at the straightness of the verge I would say a blind man did it.

Sponsored Links
WTF have they done with the down pipe :eek: is it not possible to have the drain that side of the building. NEW BUILD :eek:

Can anyone advise if this is correct?

Jesus :eek:

Meet the roofer who did it ------->
Smiley_blind.gif

Can anyone advise if this is correct?

Jesus :eek:

Meet the roofer who did it ------->
Smiley_blind.gif

The roofer is apparently coming out next Tuesday to view the roof, I am not expecting much tbh. I suspect they will say there isnt anything wrong with it. I have asked Sandtoft Techincal to view the roof and produce a report - then i'll send that to the NHBC.

Looks like the roofing SC hasn't perped the roof out properly to get that problem to occur. It could be a problem should you get a strong gust of wind under it too.

Unfortunately developers bash the subbies so much nowadays as far as costs are concerned that the most skilled / experienced labour isn't used and it's all rush, rush, rush all the time so things like that get missed.

We don't even bother pricing large developers anymore as the profit is too small and the risk too large

Thanks for your response, I am meeting the roofer next week so lets see what they have to say. I need a report for the NHBC however I am not expecting the roofer to say yes thats a poor job.

I picked up your topic on Google alerts. I am the technical Manager at Sandtoft and I can say I agree with the other comments. There is no excuse for leaving the cloaked verges overhanging like that. The roofer should have set the roof out so that the gap is distributed betwen both verges. Also, half tiles are available so to make setting out easier. The builder should have it rectified because there is a risk of wind uplift on the overhanging end. Also, if the gap underneath isnt fully closed using an undercloak then it will allow birds, rodents etc access into the roof - so all this means that the roof does not fully comply with building Standards and the NHBC should insist that it is rectified.

Good Luck!

Hi John, Many thanks for your response. The developer and roofing contractor visited my property on Tuesday 6th however they effectively said that 'that is how it is' with this style of roof and then said there wasn't a great deal they could do about it. I mentioned about the half tile, the roofing contractor said that it wouldn't work as he didn't think there was enough movement in the tile (what ever that means). I mentioned that I have spoken to Sandtoft Tech, as such the roofing contractor said that he would speak to the Sandtoft area manager to get your view. I have given the developer until 15th April to advise what action they intend to take to resolve the issues.
I have noted that there is some form of fibre board under the tiles that overhang. As such my issue is with the distance of that over hang and the fact that it dosent match the other side of the house. Additionally I believe the tiles have actually moved in the recent strong wind.
I do appreciate your response, I hope that Sandtoft will support me in terms of getting the roofing to put this right.

Are Sandtoft able to inspect the roof and offer an independant view? I am in the west yorkshire area.

How did this end up? i have problem with my builder and a roof. What did the NHBC say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back