Sangamo M5 timer replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Currently I have a Sangamo M5 faulty/noisy timer attached to my boiler system. The system consists of a back boiler (behind the fireplace), a thermostat, Sangamo M5 timer, an on/off switch, a pump and an insulated copper boiler with a thermostat on the outside of it.

I have purchased a Sangamo Choice PR2n to replace the M5 with but the back plates are different.

So here are the questions:

Is my system fully pumped or gravity fed?
The M5 is earthed and the new PR2n is not, do I crimp said earth cable to the other earth cable to ensure continuity?
Dip switch settings?

I am sure once I know what type of heating system I have I can work out the wiring but if anyone would like to inpart their knowledge of the old to new wiring system it would be most appreciated and save me some time (lazy I know but its worth asking and of course I would check to make sure I dont blow anything up!)

Here is the manual for the M5:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1900/0799/files/M5_Inst_User.pdf?15046837736435188563

Here is the manual for the PR2n:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...l-Instructions-143793.pdf?5806543096409687194

Thank you in advance for your assitance, it is very much appreciated.

PS photos attached:

s!AkkwhSF87Doh8niZLrIGsfZd_QMK

s!AkkwhSF87Doh8nrDozf7zB4erspq

s!AkkwhSF87Doh8nxkqFdOnLUcYdhx

s!AkkwhSF87Doh8n0MNN7rA-7SQbKt

s!AkkwhSF87Doh8n0MNN7rA-7SQbKt

Sponsored Links
You get the gold star for choice as most would be asking how to wire a Hive they had bought

Sponsored Links
You have a Gravity HW system, you will need additional controls if you want your PR2 to be fully pumped controlled

You have a Gravity HW system, you will need additional controls if you want your PR2 to be fully pumped controlled
Could you please explain a little more?

All I would like to be able to do is swap the timers over.

Whats does fully pumped controls mean and why would I need it?

Will the new sangamo timer allow me to set up a 7 day timer and allow me to select hot water only without the central heating coming on?

Thanks

Often there is no way to cool the boiler if you were to pump DHW if the pump was not running, if gas, oil or solid fuel modern boilers have permanent supply to boiler and pump is run until cool, but with old boilers they relied on the thermo syphon to cool, so the standard programmer/time switch had an electric and some times a mechanical switch so it went from 10 programs to 16 programs if you have the option to turn off domestic hot water.

Selecting 16 programs when you did not have the option to turn off did not do any harm, but selecting CH only would not work, you would always get DHW as well.

Whats does fully pumped controls mean and why would I need it?

Will the new sangamo timer allow me to set up a 7 day timer and allow me to select hot water only without the central heating coming on?
Fully pumped means you can have CH or HW on individually, you have gravity HW so you can only have HW on its own or CH and HW together, changing the programmer will not alter this , you will have to change to a Y plan or S plan if you want them individually

Hi, thanks for your explanations, most apprieciated.

I think this is a G.S.I moment......

"Get Someone In"

Thanks for all your assistance.

The new PR2 is capable of controlling either a 'fully pumped' or 'gravity hot water' system. There is a switch marked 1, pumped / gravity to select the modus operandi. As you don't know which you have, once the wires are moved over from the M5 to the PR2 if you find that in 'pumped' mode when the heating only is set to be 'on' that the boiler doesn't fire up, then simply move the switch to the 'gravity' position.

M5 terminal (1) = HW ON = PR2 (3)
M5 terminal (3) = L = PR2 (L)
M5 terminal (4) = N = PR2 (N)
M5 terminal (8) = CH ON = PR2 (4)

The link wire between M5 terminals 1 & 6 is not required, as the PR2 already has this made internally for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back