Satinwood going soft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted out bathroom door with Crown retail water based satinwood about a year ago. We have a habit of pulling the door to by touching the wooden part of the door rather than using the door handle, and in this spot the paint gets dirty very quickly and has actually gone soft and tacky so if you run a fingernail down it it just scrapes off, showing the old gloss underneath.

My dad used the this paint on his stair banisters and the same thing happened where people touch the wood when going down the stairs. I assumed this was because the gloss underneath hadn't been sanded before he applied it though, and made sure that I gave our door a thorough sanding first.

Is this just a case of the oil from our skin reacting with the water based paint and softening it? I've looked at reviews for this type of paint though and no one else seems to have this problem. Maybe I didn't clean the surface thoroughly enough before painting in the first place and it's because of oil that was already there from previously? I'm sure I just sanded and wiped down with soapy water. If I sand the whole thing down and give it a good scrubbing with sugar soap before repainting do you think this will stop the same thing happening again? Or maybe a different brand of paint is worth trying?
I just don't want to waste my time and have the same thing happen again, and I'm also wanting to paint the rest of the doors in the house, ideally with satinwood as I prefer the finish, so I need to know that they are going to be durable also.

Sponsored Links
If your having a problem with finger grease in certain areas then maybe the areas were not cleaned properly prior to painting. Water based paint only sits on top of the woodwork anyway. It doesn't adhere like oil based paint.
Using soapy water might not be a good idea. Sugar soap is the correct product to use as this leaves surfaces ready to paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back