Saunier Duval Thema F23E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gathered that most people hate these boilers, so don't slate me for having one, it was in my flat when I bought it :eek:

Anyway, I currently have the central heating drained as I'm replacing some radiators and valves. I have the thermostat set such that the heating is off, I have the timeswitch on the boiler set so the heating is off, and the boiler is set to summer mode, i.e. the heating is off. All just in case it got turned on accidentally!

Yesterday I turned on my hot tap to do some washing up, left it while the sink filled up, and noticed an awful smell of smoke, smelt like burning metal or plastic. I went into the kitchen to find the boiler pumping smoke out like nobodies business, making an awful clattering sound, and the temperature gauge on the front was off the top of the scale!

I naturally turned the boiler off ASAP, and left it a few hours to cool down, which was associated by some very loud 'crack' type sounds, presumably from things cooling down and contracting.

I have since repressurised the heating system and turned the boiler back on. It seems to power up, and the pumps come on and off for the heating and the hot water, however unsurprisingly it never actually fires up.

A few questions:

1. Is this my fault? Surely it is possible to use the boiler for hot water without having the heating system in operation, or pressurised? If I'm wrong in this respect I'm quite happy to admit this :(

2. What has likely broken? What kind of repair bill am I looking at?

Sponsored Links
1.- yes it is. the flow & return from the boiler must be linked together at least & the system pressurised.

2.- you have attempted to operate it with no water in it, who knows what damage its caused. i'm not familiar with this model but be prepared to fork out for new boiler.

Another DIY job gone wrong!

All because you thought you knew how boilers work!

Of course you could have pressurised the boiler, closed the heating isolation valve and then continued to use hot water with the system drained but the boiler pressurised.

Unfortunately you will probably have to replace the boiler now. It will theoretically be possible to repair it but the cost of £300-£500 will not be worthwhile for an older boiler. Its also difficult to find anyone prepared to work on them as they are such a poor design.

New boiler time, about £1500 inc for a cheaper boiler.

Tony

call the maker on 01773 828100 for a fixed price repair £215

Sponsored Links
That would be interesting!

But dont BG exclude sludging and the main heat exchanger?

In that case I would have thought that Heat Team would have similar exclusions.

Let us know how you get on! Its probably worthwhile at that price.

Even if its repaired then its still an aweful boiler though!

Tony

That would be interesting!

But dont BG exclude sludging and the main heat exchanger?

In that case I would have thought that Heat Team would have similar exclusions.

Let us know how you get on! Its probably worthwhile at that price.

Even if its repaired then its still an aweful boiler though!

Tony

it's groupservice and they'd sort it for that price

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was just looking at British Gas fixed price repairs actually. Their terms don't seem to have any exclusions as far as I can see?

This is only £168 in my area and covers the call out, all labout and parts.

If they decide it's not repairable (which I hope they don't) then you don't pay anything at all!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was just looking at British Gas fixed price repairs actually. Their terms don't seem to have any exclusions as far as I can see?

This is only £168 in my area and covers the call out, all labout and parts.

If they decide it's not repairable (which I hope they don't) then you don't pay anything at all!

groupservice are experts on that model, carry spares on the van and won't try and flog you a new boiler and rip u off like Bg will.

There is a overheat stat which will need resetting i would try this first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back