SBR Slurry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having my house re-rendered. At the moment the house has painted tyrolean. My plasterer has sugested using a slurry coat of SBR and cement over the top and then render on to that whilst still tacky. Is this normal practice ??

Paulymase

Sponsored Links
Some people would call it "Normal " practice but I dont think any plasterer who doesn't want his work coming off in sheets and cracks at sometime in the future would!!! It should all be "angle-grinded" in diamond patterns all over and any loose or flaking paint hacked off and if you want a proper job doing maybe have it all power-washed first. Then after all that it can be slurried up or even better "Scutted"...... You get what you pay for (Sometimes)....

Some people would call it "Normal " practice but I dont think any plasterer who doesn't want his work coming off in sheets and cracks at sometime in the future would!!! It should all be "angle-grinded" in diamond patterns all over and any loose or flaking paint hacked off and if you want a proper job doing maybe have it all power-washed first. Then after all that it can be slurried up or even better "Scutted"...... You get what you pay for (Sometimes)....

The SBR slurry, if done properly is excellent. I know... I used it all the time. If the render is flat, I combine both methods. The afforementioned method is a good one.

Nick
[removed]

I agree SBR slurry has its use's and is a good "bonding agent . but Paulymase asked if it was alright to put it over "painted tyrolean" and then render on top. I dissagreed and told him the methods I would use, :)

Sponsored Links
If you render over paint - then that is all that is holding the render up.

If you render over paint - then that is all that is holding the render up.

The paint. put a suction cup on a painted wall and try to pull it off. If the wall is flat painted render, then you need grinder marks and SBR but tyrolean, with its nobbles, takes the gravitational down force - it works!

Nick

A suction cup has nothing to do with it. That is the weight of the atmosphere pushing down on a partial vacuum. Schoolboy physics.

A suction cup has nothing to do with it. That is the weight of the atmosphere pushing down on a partial vacuum. Schoolboy physics.

I know what I am talking about Joe. I have being using this technique for the last 6yrs or so and I have had no remedials. If the paint is stuck then this method is as good as any.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back