Scaled in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was i the shower this morning and suddenly the water was scalding, it turns out my son had turned on the cold water in the bathroom. Is there something wrong when it can scald someone in the shower is there not a safety issue here ?

Sponsored Links
A well plumbed shower can minimise the problem as can a thermostatic shower.

Un-vented cylinder? mains supply to the shower & cold taps?

Sponsored Links
It's not the boiler etc, it's the shower, and the water supply that's the issue. If you've got a thermostatic shower, then as the cold water pressure drops, it will then shut down the hot water to keep the shower at the correct temprature. Having said that, not many of the cheap ones work that quickly, or that well. In your case, you've also possibly got an issue with the incomming water supply. With a 25mm MDPE water pipe, you could turn on the cold water tap whilst someones in the shower, and not notice it; but you couldn't do that with the hot tap unless the unvented cylinder could handle the dual feed.

No safety issue now as you identified a fault and wont be using the shower until it has been checked by a competent person.

Probably an easy fix,just needs on site investigation.

Is it a manual or thermostatic mixer? Needs to be thermostatic and ideally a TMV2 or 3 rated shower to have reliable overheat protection.

Manual mixers will normally not have a cut out and there is always a scalding risk with that type.

Its not a thermostatic one its a concealed mixer valve, but its behind new tiles and concrete type plaster board done last year so if i want it not to happen again i need to fit a thermostatic shower and damage the tiling

A manual shower mixer will always have a scalding risk. Only other option that could be suggested really would be to install a remote TMV upstream of the shower in the hot supply. That will control the hot before it gets to the shower and most, if not all, will incorporate an auto-shutoff, so worst case is you'd get cold but not burnt.

I don't think that would work Madrab (well it would sort of), If you control the potential overheat with TMV upstream, then that's the maximum temperature you'd ever get. Fiine in the summer, but no real pressure in the winter.

Sorry Tally, but yes; you either need to increase the water flow into the house, or install a thermstatic shower. Do you have any of the tiles left, or can you still get them.

I don't think that would work Madrab (well it would sort of), If you control the potential overheat with TMV upstream, then that's the maximum temperature you'd ever get
If needed then just install an adjustable TMV then set that to max, some will have a 60deg max setting, though most have 55deg @ 30-40l/min @ the systems nominal dynamic pressure. Not sure how much HW temp/pressure and flow the OP would need above that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back