Scratched UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A UPVC door has several elements to it. The frame, which is fixed to the brick opening. The panel, which sits inside a casement. These are fine. However, it's the third element - the casement frame itself which has hinges, locks, handles etc installed which I'm asking about.

My friend has managed to gouge out a sizeable series of deep scratches in this casement section, and these are beyond a bit of buffing repair. The door is pretty new - about 2 months old. Is it possible for this section to be re-built by the supplier since taking out the whole frame and starting again would prove a real ball-ache!?

I'd assume the manufacture of these things is pretty standard, in particular the height of the lock and hinges?

Sponsored Links
Can you board up the door temporally and send the door back to be copied/ remade?
Although locking gear positions should be fairly standard a few mm out could cause all sorts of problems especially with hinge locations.

If the factory is nearby you should be able to arrange to drop the old door out and get a replacement made the same day, They could swap over all the gear and glass etc keeping costs down

If you know where the door came from and the fact its only 2 months old the fabricator will still have your outer frame/brickwork sizes on file, if not then just supply these again and he should be able to just remake a new sash for you from the outer frame size, will also route out for the locking mech and handles as well as hinges from the jigs they use

Bread and butter for my supplier this is

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back