Scratches onto a Bamboo floor what can I do to fix it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I had a bamboo floor laid about 12 months ago, and now I can see scratches all over the place, usually lines of scratches. Like furniture being dragged on the floor etc. This has created lines up and down the place.

Its the same one mentioned here: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Tanned-Bamboo-Solid-Wood-Flooring/p/158019

I do have some oak wood stain and clear varnish, all wickes range, I wanted to know if i can gently apply it to the lines and following the grain of the bamboo.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There are quite a few different wax repair kits, I try one of these first before trying to use stains. Also, as per the product instructions, always use felt pads and caster cups under furniture to prevent more damage in the future.

Thanks for the reply. I also see some polyurethane varnish for coating the floor. Since the property is rented out, I just feel some kind of coating would be useful to protect against scratches etc.

There are quite a few different wax repair kits, I try one of these first before trying to use stains. Also, as per the product instructions, always use felt pads and caster cups under furniture to prevent more damage in the future.

If the bamboo has an untreated surface, it would be advisable - if cost effective - to have a treatment put on, but it won't guarantee to resolve scratching issues in the future, it would make general maintenance easier though and felt pads would help considerably. Also ensure tenants do not mop the floor with water, ideally only spray wood soaps (if untreated) or spray lacquered floor cleaners should be use on these types of floor as excessive water will damage the boards and joints.

Sponsored Links
The bamboo is treated. It has a surface shih is already varnished etc. It'd shiny and smooth. I'm guessing this is what you mean.

I only thought extra varnish for extra protection.

The surface that is on it is most likely a polyurethane finish applied at the factory, you can't 'top up' this type of finish, you would need to key onto the bamboo surface itself. I would suggest it unlikely you could 'only remove' the coating.

Unfortunately, whilst I have worked in the flooring trade 18 years, I've never sold Bamboo flooring, but it's my understanding that the product you have is not dissimilar to a laminate floor. If so, then the principle is, the more you spend, the tougher and more wear/scratch resistant the polyurethane coatings are. When used with felt pads on furniture legs etc, it 'should' be quite hard to scratch a floor of this type.

Are the scratches reasonably localised? I assume the flooring was a click joint system and not glued? If so, do you have any planks left? Is the product still available? If the answer is yes, then it would be simple to just replace the worst affected boards.

We've had ours down for 10 years. We apply olive oil to the scratches, works a treat, just be careful not to slip for a while. Scratches will still be there but a lot less visible.

Bamboo flooring is nothing like laminate and will be glued, like hardwood but from a sustainable source.

The attached picture is an example of the kind of scratches that i am talking about.

Attachments

• GH79xKjO.jpg
    GH79xKjO.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 189

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back