Screeding a sloping floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello forumites,

I'm renovating my property currently and wanted to insulate what is going to be the media room floor and also bring it up to the same level as the rest of the house. This room used to be the garage, hence the floor height difference, and that's why the floor is sloping a bit as well. It is concrete.

The minimum depth is 200mm on one end and goes to 240mm on the other end. The size of the room is 5m x 3m with the slope being on the small dimension, i.e. 40mm drop over 3m.

I was thinking of placing rigid insulation boards (e.g. celotex) 130mm directly on the concrete, perhaps with a dpm laid down first, and then screed on top of the boards, so the screed will be 70mm minimum and up to 110mm on the deep end.

Does this make sense? Could there be any issues with this arrangement? Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on what you say but I helped a mate convert his garage (detached) to a recording studio
Neither of us are trade but DIY and music based

We filled any level changes with concrete and used a sort of arc system to find levels then filled the gaps with concrete. The floor was then covered in bitumen ..

Once building the rest of the structure was done ( internal walls floated on inch thick neoprene) a pvc dpc was used and rockwool (acoustic) was laid down and chipboard glued together as a raft on top of the rockwool as a floating floor.

That was around 20 years ago and it is still warm, dry, and very soundproof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back