Screen resolutions and pixel density

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know we could waste years of our lives arguing the in's and out's of resolutions and megapixels etc but with my finger poised over the confirm order button on an S21 (and much debate over the fact the S21 screen res is technically a downgrade from the S20), I thought I'd compare the S21 with the S6 I'd be moving from...

S6: Quad HD, 1440 x 2560, ppi 577, rear camera 16mp

S21: FHD+, 1080 x 2400, ppi 421, rear camera 12mp (with a selection of clever zooms)

...so am I reading that right, is the screen resolution and camera on the S21 'worse' (I use that term carefully) than my S6?

Sponsored Links
Not an expert but obviously 1080 x 2400 is less than 1440 x 2560.

There is a Computer Hardware forum. I'll ask for you to be moved.

Higher ppi on the screen is said to give better text in particular. It did when the newer screens started appearing but differences in real terms now ??????? PPI should count and ideally the same ppi in both directions.

Pixels in phone cameras are a numbers game really. The quality of the results under various conditions are what really matters and video quality too really. I bought a Huawei on that basis because it was the best available at the time but dlsr quality - not really. Compacts - probably maybe even better than some.

;) It was cheaper than similar alternatives as well.

Sponsored Links
Too late...just ordered the S21 256GB to take advantage of the free earbuds.

Trouble is the home button on the S6 has given up and it makes navigation around the phone a bit of a pain.

I've been going around in circles for a couple of weeks, thought about an S20+ but for every good review on the refurb websites, I read two bad reviews...and they still ain't cheap secondhand and would require me to buy wireless headphones.

I was gonna buy an S10+ performance model in Ceramic Black but the only ones available new are the European models and various sources have told me that at the very least, Samsung Pay won't work. Music Magpie and several other websites have told me that they cannot guarantee I'd get a UK model.

I was hoping that Argos or John Lewis would drop their prices on the S20+ come the launch of the S21 but no...and if I wait till this coming weekend to see if they drop after the S21 ships it'll be too late to take advantage of the offer.

I'm kinda hoping that screen resolution aside, a phone manufactured 6 years after my current phone will show some improvements...

Back